Request: Suggestions for a science exhibit (3D printers in science)

DIYbio Groningen

Feb 26, 2015, 2:50:53 AM2/26/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I have been tasked to create an exhibit that explores the way 3D printers are currently being used in science. One of the sub themes we are considering is the democratization of science and I was wondering if the DIYbio community had some concrete examples of ways a 3D printer has been used to this end. An object that can be printed to form part of the exhibit is a bonus.

I am aware of the electrophoresis trays and the dremelfuge but I was hoping for some more recent examples.

Cheers,
Winand

Ryan Hoover

Mar 1, 2015, 4:35:25 PM3/1/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

We've been working on bioprinting at the Baltimore Underground Science Space. This is a direct example of using 3D printing in science. There are also a number of indirect 3D printing aspects this project, like the 3D printed hot water jacket syringe holder. You can find out more about this project at 3dbiofab.com and more about the lab at bugssonline.com. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Ryan Hoover

Otto Heringer

Mar 1, 2015, 11:50:58 PM3/1/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Well, if you are not looking specifically to DIYbio, I suggest to take a look on everything this guy liked, designed and made on thingiverse:
http://www.thingiverse.com/jpearce/about

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/0d48f39c-c518-48d2-989e-26a9532db938%40googlegroups.com.

Winand Slingenbergh

Mar 18, 2015, 8:36:15 AM3/18/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ryan and Otto for the suggestions, that book looks fatastic!

I am busy printing a whole range of objects now that will form part of the exhibit and will give an update as soon as we open (in 2 weeks).

For now we are sticking to PLA prints but we might explore bioprinting for a future exhibit.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.

Regards,
Winand Slingenbergh