Color-Changing Flower -- Early Bird rewards available

Raymond McCauley

Mar 3, 2015, 2:44:57 AM3/3/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Revolution Bio's genetically engineered color-changing flower campaign is up on IndieGoGo, and there are a limited number of early bird rewards of actual flowers available.

Cathal Garvey

Mar 3, 2015, 12:28:53 PM3/3/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I've signed up for a flower even if I can't legally receive one..
hopefully by next year Forma Labs may have a license. :)

Don't forget to leave a comment whether or not you sign up for a reward;
IndieGoGo is *all algorithmic* and one way of boosting a project is
simply to "engage" with it!

Good luck Keira, Nikolai!

On 03/03/15 07:44, Raymond McCauley wrote:
> Revolution Bio <http://revolutionbio.co/>'s genetically engineered
> color-changing flower campaign is up on IndieGoGo, and there are a
> limited number of early bird rewards of actual flowers available.
>
> http://igg.me/p/color-changing-flowers/x/369415
>
> --
> Groups "DIYbio" group.
> an email to diybio+un...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:diybio+un...@googlegroups.com>.
> <mailto:diy...@googlegroups.com>.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/8869cdf3-92b1-49b5-81af-d432e9f49659%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/8869cdf3-92b1-49b5-81af-d432e9f49659%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Scientific Director, IndieBio Irish Programme
Got a biology-inspired business idea that $50,000 -
& 3 months in a well equipped lab could accelerate?
Apply for the Summer programme in Ireland:
http://indie.bio/apply-to-ireland
Twitter: @onetruecathal
Phone: +353876363185
miniLock: JjmYYngs7akLZUjkvFkuYdsZ3PyPHSZRBKNm6qTYKZfAM
peerio.com: cathalgarvey

Angry monkey

Mar 4, 2015, 4:00:34 PM3/4/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
selecting a culture from a plate with a pipettor... out of loops or even toothpicks?

Nathan McCorkle

Mar 4, 2015, 9:13:37 PM3/4/15
to diybio
Seems just /slightly/ dishonest that they blab in the main video about
ANTHOCYANINS and circadian rhythms, only later in a video further down
to mention they are only working on ethanol-induction for white-to-red
color conversion... and then even later mention that starting work on
BLUE (anthocyanins) is a stretch goal.

Cathal Garvey

Mar 5, 2015, 3:41:18 AM3/5/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
> Seems just /slightly/ dishonest that they blab in the main video about
> ANTHOCYANINS and circadian rhythms, only later in a video further down
> to mention they are only working on ethanol-induction for white-to-red

To be fair, there are two sides to this project:

* Inducible pigmentation (with pluggable induction)
* Circadian analogue output (with pluggable target)

They could start with either, but one of them will excite their support
base and show tangible progress, the other won't.

And, if you're working on a pluggable pigmentation system, you might as
well start with a pretty straightforward induction system like ethanol.

I learned from Keira and Nikolai during SynbioAxlr8r by the way, that
while Anthocyanins are best known for blue, many of them appear red.
They had even made up some pretty pimp-looking cocktail sugar with
anthocyanins that (being dehydrated) had a very mild colour, but when
added to a drink created a bloom of intense reds or blues. So I don't
think they're being dishonest on the anthocyanin score.

Keira Havens

Mar 8, 2015, 11:59:33 AM3/8/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hey, I'm the founder of Revolution

When we first made the video, the idea was to go straight for the punchline; you're giving money to build Petunia Circadia.  We came to the conclusion that we wanted to do something that was solidly and definitely achievable on a short timescale since that's been lacking in consumer biotech so far.  That meant that we had to pick a slightly less ambitious project to start (the white->red flower), but we still wanted to preserve the vision.

We've modified the video to more accurately reflect the current situation - take a look at tell us what you think: https://vimeo.com/121508228 We're a a little bit limited by the existing footage and the fact that our video guy has gone on vacation, but it should be a bit more accurate.

Heinrich Meurer

Mar 20, 2015, 7:09:49 AM3/20/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com

There was a color changing plant project (Thale cress) with field trial already in 2003. It was meant for quality control in humanitarian demining activities and involved ARESA Biotech from Denmark. The plant was supposed to turn red if elevated levels of explosives had leaked from landmines into the soil indicating by the colour change the presence and positions of landmines. A truely nice idea. Unfortunately it did not work out at the time and an entertaining background report on the trials can be read here:

 http://nolandmines.com/ARESAPWSredplanttrials.htm

best

Heinrich