My DIY Gene Gun worked!!

Sebastian Cocioba

Apr 19, 2014, 2:00:13 PM4/19/14
to diybio
Here is a picture of a plant leaf expressing gfp shot using tungsten nanoparticles using my home made gene gun. Ill write a decent post on my blog about it but I was too excited to wait. This was 48hrs post shot. Tobacco leaf, 35s-gfp-Tnos cassette. Left leaf is experiment, right leaf is control. Not the glow in the midrib. Leaf illuminated with party light black light.

Cost of gene gun was $30-50 depending on shipping (plumbing parts and bike pump), tungsten is $38/5g from US Nano, not counting the calcium or spermidine on looking at $0.01/shot (0.5mg) and all done at room temp!

Sebastian S. Cocioba
CEO & Founder
New York Botanics, LLC
Plant Biotech R&D
test.jpg

Cathal Garvey (Phone)

Apr 19, 2014, 2:03:30 PM4/19/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
WHOA Yes! Congrats Sebastian, can't wait to build one!

Alex

Apr 19, 2014, 2:06:27 PM4/19/14
to Diy Bio

Well done!

Alex

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/5272745837726875757%40unknownmsgid.

Mega [Andreas Stuermer]

Apr 19, 2014, 3:08:24 PM4/19/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Very awesome!

U should sell them ;)

Avery louie

Apr 19, 2014, 3:16:56 PM4/19/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Congrats!

On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 3:08 PM, Mega [Andreas Stuermer] <masters...@gmail.com> wrote:
Very awesome!

U should sell them ;)

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.

Meredith L. Patterson

Apr 19, 2014, 3:17:56 PM4/19/14
to DIYBio Mailing List
Sweet! Can't wait to read the writeup! (And if it's just plumbing parts and a bike pump, shit, I probably have all that lying around...)

Cheers,
--mlp

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.

Alexey Zaytsev

Apr 19, 2014, 3:37:45 PM4/19/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com

Hey. Super-nice.

Just one thing. Do you have a control? Because it really looks like some fluorescent dust fibers.

Sebastian Cocioba

Apr 19, 2014, 3:59:49 PM4/19/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Control is the right leaf. Dust is a big issue when looking for false positives. That's why I aimed at the midrib. I wiped off any dust but tobacco is sticky. The midrib color is the best signal since I shot into leaf with poor results.

Sebastian S. Cocioba
CEO & Founder
New York Botanics, LLC
Plant Biotech R&D

Apr 19, 2014, 9:03:35 PM4/19/14
to diybio
The "dust" looks to me like lint from fabric that has been treated with "whitening agents", which are just dyes that fluoresce blue. They are added to detergents because as cotton ages, it yellows, and yellow plus blue look white.

Adding a low pass filter would block the blue and let the green show through.
Or you could remove them digitally, by erasing blue pixels.

-----
Get a free science project every week! "http://scitoys.com/newsletter.html"

Simon Quellen Field

Apr 19, 2014, 10:54:22 PM4/19/14
to diybio
By the way, fabric whitening agents may soon fail to work indoors:

-----
Get a free science project every week! "http://scitoys.com/newsletter.html"

Simon Quellen Field

Apr 20, 2014, 4:28:33 PM4/20/14
to diybio
I took Sebastian's photo and set the brightness, contrast, and gamma of the red and blue to zero.
In the result, the bright blue lint dust has nearly disappeared.Inline image 1

​To make the difference between the control and the subject pop out a little more, I converted it to grayscale:
Inline image 2​Lastly, I selected only the brightest tail of the distribution, to remove clutter:
Inline image 3

-----
Get a free science project every week! "http://scitoys.com/newsletter.html"

Sebastian Cocioba

Apr 20, 2014, 4:35:52 PM4/20/14
to diybio
Wow that looks fantastic! Could I use those images in my write-up and credit you for the image manipulation?

Sebastian S. Cocioba
CEO & Founder
New York Botanics, LLC
Plant Biotech R&D

Apr 20, 2014, 8:26:30 PM4/20/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I'll do an instructional video based on the write-up within the week after it comes out.