How to turn your makerspace into a bio lab

Pieter

Jul 20, 2016, 11:43:40 AM7/20/16
to DIYbio
We're excited to announce that the 4th international BioHack Academy will start on January 31st 2017! This unique 10 week course is all about building and using your lab and sharing the process and outcomes. This is why we are calling out everyone with access to a makerspace/fablab to join in, either by signing up for the local group in Amsterdam or setting up your own group.

Over the past 3 editions biohackers participated from Brazil, the USA, Denmark, Sweden, the UK, Spain, Italy, Serbia, Iran and Japan. For the next edition we are already in contact with groups from Brazil, Lithuania, China and now looking for more lab coordinators.

BioHack Academy is a open academy, aiming to raise the level of the biohack playing field globally. The course materials are all shared and freely available, such as lectures (slides/videos), extensive practical instructions and the design files of the equipment (3D models, circuits, assembly guides). Last edition Polyhedra FabLab was able to conduct the full course on just that as an "indie lab". You can also become a "partner lab", which means we will guide you through the preparation process, give you a head start during a 3 day bootcamp from Nov 29 - Dec 1 in Amsterdam, support your group during the course, facilitate the interaction between international participants and we will co-create the course with you in return for a fee.

Testimonials from previous editions can be found all over the web, Google image search gives you a fair impression: https://www.google.nl/search?tbm=isch&q=BioHack+Academy

Results from the BioHack Academy are now also being exhibited at the London Science Museum, have been used by several schools and public libraries, exhibited in several art galleries and is a great way to introduce your makerspace into the world of biotechnology.

Need more information?

On August 9 at 16:30h (CEST) Amsterdam time we will host the first Lab Coordinators conference call. In case you are interested, please send an email to bio...@waag.org. We'll send you a detailed brochure with more info in return.

In case you are at FAB12 at that time, no worries, because some of our colleagues will be there too. Just let us know in case you want to meet up.

You can also join our Facebook group and stay connected: https://www.facebook.com/groups/biohackacademy/

In case you already want to sign up for the Amsterdam 2017 edition, use this form: www.waag.org/bha4

Registering as a partner lab can be done here: http://waag.org/en/news/biohack-academy-call-partner-labs

Design files from previous editions can be found here: https://github.com/biohackacademy

Documentation of participant projects of previous editions here:

- BHA3: http://biohackacademy.github.io/bha3/participants/documentation/

- BHA2: http://biohackacademy.github.io/bha2/participants/documentation/

- BHA1: http://biohackacademy.github.io/biofactory/participants/documentation/