What's the rationale behind the similarities between chlorophyll and hemoglobin?

Cory Geesaman

Sep 12, 2017, 8:15:10 PM9/12/17
to DIYbio
My best guess at the moment is that since chlorophyll is designed to channel light via entanglement to turn it into usable energy that the similar molecular machinery can be used to turn slight vibrations into enough energy to eject the Oxygen in hemoglobin - but I don't actually have a clue and it's mostly pseudoscience which pops up when I do a search on Google.  Does anyone know the answer to this?

Skyler Gordon

Sep 13, 2017, 5:09:28 PM9/13/17
to DIYbio
It could be that both molecules are extremely important for biosynthesis and have similar structure for stability sake. The density of conjugated double bonds and circular (multi-arch) structure could simply be a manifestation of molecular stability.

While chlorophyll is a pigment, it isn't the only pigment in the light harvesting complex. And while the exact reason oxygen diffuses from hemoglobin the way it does may not be known, I don't know for fact, the light harvesting complex is probably much the same.

You may want to look into the amount of oxygen hemoglobin can hold at different concentrations. The curve is sigmoidal and may help you make a theory.

-SG

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/50559957-9c6d-48b2-81c9-6f64ca832109%40googlegroups.com.

Rikke Rasmussen

Sep 13, 2017, 6:09:00 PM9/13/17
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I suspect the primary explanation for the similarity in form is due to the complexing of a metal ion at the reaction center (iron for heme, magnesium for chlorophyll), which is central to the functionality of both molecules. I found this review paper from 1980 that explores the similarities in quite a bit of detail:

As well as a brief, pop-sci summary of same:

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups DIYbio group. To post to this group, send email to diy...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=en

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.

Cory Geesaman

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.

Nathan McCorkle

Sep 14, 2017, 1:56:14 AM9/14/17
to diybio
I thought hemoglobin was just a pH responsive chelator, while
chlorophyll was more like an antenna+diode... as for rationale... can
you really ask that of evolution?

Sonia Arrison

Sep 14, 2017, 3:29:38 PM9/14/17
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Super interesting! Thanks for the links, Rikke.

Rikke Rasmussen

Sep 14, 2017, 3:57:17 PM9/14/17
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Actually, that Quirky Science thing is pretty atrocious - ignore that, just read the paper.

Cory Geesaman

Sep 19, 2017, 12:30:27 PM9/19/17
to DIYbio
Chlorophyll is definitely like an antenna+diode - which is what got me thinking Hemoglobin might be shaped like it is so that the Oxygen can be knocked off by lower energy processes (i.e. you have something bump it mechanically or electrically just the right way and it ejects either an Oxygen molecule or a highly reactive monoatomic Oxygen molecule and something else is ready to make use of it.)  Still a bit unclear on if this is the case or not though.