Bio Academy - How to Grow (Almost) Anything 2018

Scott

Jun 5, 2018, 3:19:09 PM6/5/18
to DIYbio
How to Grow (Almost) Anything (HTGAA, http://bio.academany.org/) is a distributed Synthetic Biology Program directed by George Church, Professor of Genetics at Harvard Medical School and taught by a diverse group of faculty (http://bio.academany.org/faculty.html). HTGAA is a part of the growing Academy of (almost) Anything, or the academany.

Bio Academy offers education on the implications and applications of synthetic biology (http://bio.academany.org/classes.html). The 2018 HTGAA Program starts in September and global lectures happen on Wednesdays at 9:00 AM EST - lasting for approximately 3 hours. Students from around the world connect online to participate. During the classes, professors from diverse Universities and companies both present and explain the content of the class, and also review the work of the students.  Students are expected to complete assignments at their local lab (http://bio.academany.org/labs.html). These lectures and assignments are designed to give students a broad understanding of, and wet bench experience in, the field of synthetic biology. For more information and to signup for the 2018 program see our website:

On behalf of the 2018 organizing committee,
Scott Pownall, PhD
Open Science Network
Vancouver, BC, Canada

A No Body

Jun 6, 2018, 2:54:00 PM6/6/18
to DIYbio
I heard its inaccessible. Unless something changed.
there is no distribution network if one wants a finer amount of chemicals. You must buy things in bulk basically.
it will run a DIYbio enthusiast out of liquidity.

Sweet deal though. You get to claim you were in a project that was designed/directed by George Church.

synbiofablab

Jun 7, 2018, 1:31:28 PM6/7/18
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hey Yuriy,

I’m not certain where you heard that. The remote lab has the supplies to fulfill the course requirements. Part of the course fee goes towards those costs. Since 2017 the labs also receive a distribution from the foundation which contains plasmids (e.g. CRISPR, trans-kingdom conjugation, etc.), oligos for DNA origami and strains. Of course, you have to be near one of the labs to complete the assignments. We are always interested in expanding the labs in the network and if any established labs want to join then they should make contact (http://bio.academany.org/contact.html). BioCurious has signed on as a lab for 2018. The course has been evolving every year and from my perspective it has been improving a lot. I think 2018 will be the best version yet. Everything has bugs when first released. There has been a great group of people dedicated to improving the program and helping to drive the costs down.

Cheers,
Scott

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups DIYbio group. To post to this group, send email to diy...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+un...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=en
Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/24bac6ad-73a4-4574-8fb3-62bd5a6ae7eb%40googlegroups.com.

A No Body

Jun 7, 2018, 4:05:42 PM6/7/18
to DIYbio
I guess something did change.

Thanks for the info

Abizar Lakdawalla

Jun 7, 2018, 8:07:32 PM6/7/18
to diy...@googlegroups.com, synbio...@gmail.com
Hi Scott, do you what the cost would be for a participant?
Thanks, Abizar

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups DIYbio group. To post to this group, send email to diy...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=en

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.

synbiofablab

Jun 8, 2018, 1:59:46 AM6/8/18
to Abizar Lakdawalla, diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Abizar,

You can find the fee structures here:

and the sign up form is here:

Cheers,
Scott

Dakota Hamill

Jun 8, 2018, 5:03:45 AM6/8/18
to diy...@googlegroups.com
5,000 Euro class fee and 2,500 lab fee and another 2,500 fab lab fee and 2,500 central lab fee.

How much is it?  Unclear how many of those fees add together.

Scott

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/4F94370A-5DEB-487F-AF78-4FBD49548FA9%40gmail.com.

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.

synbiofablab

Jun 8, 2018, 11:25:07 AM6/8/18
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dakota,

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like we have to do a better job on the website of clarifying the fee structure.

The total cost is $5,000 and this fee is the same as the Fab Academy. From that, half goes to the foundation to pay the faculty and operating costs, the other half goes to the local lab to cover consumables, facilities, operations and local instruction. There is some discretion in the local lab to lower that portion of the fees. Some labs may have a number of student and might be more flexible. It is totally up to the local lab and not the foundation. Also, if a local lab only has one person showing interest they may choose to not participate that year.

Hope this clarifies things for you.

Cheers,
Scott

Abizar Lakdawalla

Jun 8, 2018, 12:16:10 PM6/8/18
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Scott. Does the local lab have to pay $2500 per course or per student? Plus of course their local fee of up to $2500. Again is that local fee per course or per student?
Appreciate the clarifications.
Best
Abizar

Scott

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/0BBE6AEB-5812-475F-ADD1-15FE18FFFEAC%40gmail.com.

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.

John Griessen

Jun 8, 2018, 12:54:29 PM6/8/18
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On 06/08/2018 11:16 AM, Abizar Lakdawalla wrote:
> Thanks Scott. Does the local lab have to pay $2500 per course or per student? Plus of course their local fee of up to $2500. Again
> is that local fee per course or per student?

> On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 8:24 AM, synbiofablab <synbio...@gmail.com <mailto:synbio...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> The total cost is $5,000 and this fee is the same as the Fab Academy. From that, half goes to the foundation to pay the
> faculty and operating costs, the other half goes to the local lab to cover consumables, facilities, operations and local
> instruction. T

I interpret the above as:

The local lab pays nothing. Payment goes from the student to the foundation, and the foundation
pays half, ($2500) to cover all their expenses.

If the local expenses were lowered by many students enrolled, they could opt to lower their fees by rebating some of the
incoming tuition money to students.

synbiofablab

Jun 8, 2018, 12:57:31 PM6/8/18
to diy...@googlegroups.com
That is the local fee per student - part goes towards instruction and part goes to the lab operations and consumables. The total cost of the consumables for one student is much higher than a single student’s lab component. Each lab is different in their capacity to run the program. Smaller labs like mine in Vancouver needs more students to make it viable. A large lab like bioCurious already has a lot of the standard consumables. A group of us has also been working to drive the lab costs down so new labs can participate.

Cheers,
Scott

In Vancouver on June 18th? Join us for our first Science & Maker Jamboree!

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.

synbiofablab

Jun 8, 2018, 12:59:00 PM6/8/18
to diy...@googlegroups.com