DNA barcoding of mushrooms

peter russell

Jul 10, 2015, 12:22:37 PM7/10/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I am a complete novice but want to do some DNA barcoding of fungi around where I live in New York.  Am looking to visit my local community biolab but had a few basic questions.  I have a herbarium of dried fungi .... am I likely to have any success with these or do I really need fresh specimens?  Has anybody tried this on Waxcaps and if so what [cheap][simple] extract protocol was successful?  If I am asking this in the wrong forum I apologise... if anybody can suggest an approriate forum I would appreciate it!

Dakota Hamill

Jul 10, 2015, 12:26:43 PM7/10/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com

Check through some of my old blog posts on www.basementbiotech.org we barcoded a ton of fungi.  Dried mushrooms are fine.  We had 3 year old dessicated mushrooms we got ITS bands on with a simple ethanol prep.

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/a36161bd-8da3-4b84-b8af-d611d11f1d89%40googlegroups.com.

Nathan McCorkle

Jul 10, 2015, 12:31:10 PM7/10/15
to diybio
If you don't know what you're looking at: Look up 28S or ITS2 barcode
sequencing.

Here is a preparation protocol, which would get any samples ready for
sending off for sequencing:
http://1ofdmq2n8tc36m6i46scovo2e.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/iTag-Sample-Amplification-QC-v1.1.pdf

If you know what mushroom you're looking for, and there are
pre-existing primers for a unique-to-that-species gene-fragment, then
you may be able to get around sequencing and simply do a PCR.
> --
> "DIYbio" group.
> email to diybio+un...@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/a36161bd-8da3-4b84-b8af-d611d11f1d89%40googlegroups.com.

-Nathan

Dakota Hamill

Jul 10, 2015, 12:51:15 PM7/10/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com

ITS1F ITS4R I think are the primers.  Nathan's protocol is probably good.  When I'm not on my phone I'll follow up later

Nathan McCorkle

Jul 10, 2015, 1:03:12 PM7/10/15
to diybio
On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 9:51 AM, Dakota Hamill <dko...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ITS1F ITS4R I think are the primers. Nathan's protocol is probably good.
> When I'm not on my phone I'll follow up later

I just went through it, and it is pretty high-level. Doesn't actually
cover extraction... only setting up the PCR pretty much.

peter russell

Jul 10, 2015, 1:18:45 PM7/10/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the speedy responses.... I've a lot to learn!

Josiah Zayner

Jul 23, 2015, 1:27:52 PM7/23/15
to DIYbio, pjrt...@yahoo.com
We have Fungal ITS primers on The ODIN for purchase http://www.the-odin.com/fungal-its-pcr-primers-for-identification-and-barcoding/
You can also purchase Taq and other things you need for the PCR. Let me know if you need some help setting up an experiment.

Josiah Zayner

Pjrthe1st

Jul 23, 2015, 2:12:03 PM7/23/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Thx very much!  I will look at that. I was going to attend a intro course at genspace first so will be probably be active in the fall

Sent from my iPhone
Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.