Community Lab in Melbourne, Australia

Christopher Pendlebury

Mar 1, 2012, 10:47:45 AM3/1/12
to DIYbio
Hi everyone,

I'm embarking on a project to build a community lab in Melbourne,
Australia, with a focus on biology, biotechnology and bioinformatics.
Because of some of my contacts, the bioinformatics aspect could
potentially include high-end NGS analytics.

The lab will be bootstrapped, and funded by memberships and
sponsorships. I would very much like to know who would be interested
in being involved with this project, and who would like to join when
it is up and running?

Cheers
Chris

Avery louie

Mar 1, 2012, 1:18:52 PM3/1/12
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I am in the US, but good luck!  We need more people like you.

--Avery

Sumon Sadhu

Mar 1, 2012, 1:25:12 PM3/1/12
to diy...@googlegroups.com

It would be really interesting to understand the costs of building a community lab, and how cheap or expensive things are, what equipment you intend to have etc. Care to share your thinking here? I think it could spark a discussion around how it could be done in more places round the world.

Christopher Pendlebury

Mar 1, 2012, 10:18:50 PM3/1/12
to DIYbio
At the moment focusing on costs isn't the right question--the issue is
getting people involved. Have you ever heard the parable of Stone
Soup? http://www.bankofideas.com.au/Stories/fables.html#StoneSoup

With the right people participating, a worthy idea will get sufficient
resources.

I anticipate about 25-50 participants can build a pretty effective
lab, including both ordinary enthusiasts and industry sponsors. Some
equipment we can build, some would be donated, some would need to be
bought, especially consumables. A group plan at DeepDyve would be used
for access to scientific literature, along with open access journals.
Industry sponsors will participate where it can be shown there is a
benefit to them. I have some resources of my own to put in to the
effort, including a RepRap Prusa Mendel 3D printer, which could be
used to create a DremelFuge and other pieces of equipment.

It is very important to know who would be interested in using a
community lab here, because I can't do it by myself. If you live in
Melbourne and want a biolab, I need your help to make it happen! Even
your words count: I need to show potential sponsors that there are
people here in Melbourne interested in this.

On Mar 2, 5:25 am, Sumon Sadhu <sumon.sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It would be really interesting to understand the costs of building a
> community lab, and how cheap or expensive things are, what equipment you
> intend to have etc. Care to share your thinking here? I think it could
> spark a discussion around how it could be done in more places round the
> world.

Bryan Bishop

Mar 1, 2012, 10:37:44 PM3/1/12
to diy...@googlegroups.com, Christopher Pendlebury, Bryan Bishop
On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 9:18 PM, Christopher Pendlebury <mailin...@christopherpendlebury.com> wrote:
bought, especially consumables. A group plan at DeepDyve would be used
for access to scientific literature, along with open access journals.

Wow. Nobody actually uses DeepDyve - it's as bad as paying for $30/article. I recommend you join your local community college to get access. As long as you have a college id, you will have access to your library's proxy. So this could mean anything like a $20 or $40 payment per semester (whatever a class happens to cost).

I recommend you contact CCHS or Adam Ford. They have some DIYbio groupies in their circles in your area.

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507

Avery louie

Mar 1, 2012, 11:43:21 PM3/1/12
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Christopher,

I think your "stone soup" approach is a good idea.  You might want to look at doing some kind of intro class/project to bring people together.

--Avery

Christopher Pendlebury

Mar 1, 2012, 11:47:31 PM3/1/12
to DIYbio
Hi Bryan,

We don't have US style community colleges here to my knowledge. At
least, nothing that could offer journal database access for $40 a
semester. Not even my alumni library membership offers that. DeepDyve
suffices, as it's 90% less bad and I can tolerate that.

Thanks for the leads!

Cheers
Chris

On Mar 2, 2:37 pm, Bryan Bishop <kanz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 9:18 PM, Christopher Pendlebury <
>
> mailingli...@christopherpendlebury.com> wrote:
> > bought, especially consumables. A group plan at DeepDyve would be used
> > for access to scientific literature, along with open access journals.
>
> Wow. Nobody actually uses DeepDyve - it's as bad as paying for $30/article.
> I recommend you join your local community college to get access. As long as
> you have a college id, you will have access to your library's proxy. So
> this could mean anything like a $20 or $40 payment per semester (whatever a
> class happens to cost).
>
> I recommend you contact CCHS or Adam Ford. They have some DIYbio groupies
> in their circles in your area.
>
> - Bryanhttp://heybryan.org/
> 1 512 203 0507

Christopher Pendlebury

Mar 1, 2012, 11:51:15 PM3/1/12
to DIYbio
Thanks Avery!

Initial thoughts on a kickoff project is a research competition, with
a nice awards night at the end of it. With a bit of luck that might
even get something publishable for someone.

Cheers
Chris

Pieter

Mar 2, 2012, 3:26:07 AM3/2/12
to DIYbio
Good luck with setting up the lab! You might think of taking one step
at a time. First try to gather all DIY Biologist in Melbourne. Is
meetup.com commonly used down under? If you take a bit broader
approach, you propably get people involved that don't even know what a
community lab is just yet, but still like the idea and decide to
support it.

Also ,great to see you instantly think of a competition. Would you
also be interested in joining the global competition we are setting
up? I'll send you a direct mail about it.

On 1 mrt, 23:51, Christopher Pendlebury

Bryan Bishop

Sep 24, 2012, 10:09:54 AM9/24/12
to diy...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Bishop
On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 10:47 PM, Christopher Pendlebury wrote:
We don't have US style community colleges here to my knowledge. At
least, nothing that could offer journal database access for $40 a
semester. Not even my alumni library membership offers that. DeepDyve
suffices, as it's 90% less bad and I can tolerate that.

I think you could just post article requests to this group or somewhere else instead of using DeepDyve. For example, reddit.com/r/scholar seems to be active.

- Bryan

Christopher Pendlebury

Jan 30, 2013, 10:55:07 AM1/30/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

This is still in the works, there is definitely interest, but the struggle is finding space to do it.

At present, as a proof of concept, we're looking at ways to do biohacking projects at the Connected Community HackerSpace (hackmelbourne.org) in Hawthorn. So in the meantime drop by there to come play.

Cheers,
Chris

On Friday, 25 January 2013 03:15:45 UTC+11, sirhcle wrote:
Hi all,

I'm actually quite interested in seeing something like this set up if it's still going? I'm currently doing my PhD in Biochemistry, and if you need numbers you might try advertising around uni? Not sure if that's possible as they do have policies for advertising restricted to clubs and societies. I find that a lot of undergrads learn theory, but don't get enough lab time. And all the actual science clubs are about socializing and getting drunk, with limited hands-on bio. Just a thought.

Please keep me posted if anything happens though.

Chris

On Monday, 24 September 2012 11:07:34 UTC+10, plushzilla wrote:
Hi Chris,

Just wondering how your community lab project is going at the moment. I think a community lab is a very good way to generate public interest and hopefully some much needed funding in the research sector, and we are also interested in talking with other people around Australia to try and get a similar movement started. If this is still on the cards, I'd be happy to share some ideas and contacts as well.

Thanks

Meow-Ludo

Jan 30, 2013, 6:56:54 PM1/30/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

I run the Sydney Biohack group.

I would recommend joining our mailing list to keep up to date with our dealings with the regulatory body that governs DIYBio in Australia.

I would be happy to talk to you if I can with regards to the relevant laws regarding this as well. My number is 0466-965-321

Regards,

Meow

Andrew Gray

Jan 7, 2015, 10:07:29 PM1/7/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,
    I am very interested in whether or not Melbourne has started a DIYBio space. Any updates?

Andrew

Andrew Gray

Jan 7, 2015, 10:15:55 PM1/7/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Meow,
    Wanted to see if you'd be cool with me picking your brains on how you started your sydney Biohack group. Especially in terms of obstacles, what worked, what didn't and just other stuff. Let me know! I know there are people in melbourne interested and it looks like its been brought up before! i reckon this year could be it!

Regards,

Andrew

Abdenour Saaid

Jan 21, 2015, 9:29:40 PM1/21/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christopher Pendlebury
I am based in Melbourne too, and i have started a Fablab workshop in Alphinton, near Fairefield. I am a biologogist by formation, but have been working in the vocational sector both as trainer and rto manager since migrating to australia.
After seeing what synthetic biology can accomplish i am convinced that digital fabrication tools (bioprinters & wetlabs equipment in general) are the way to go to setup a DYIbio lab, in ourlab we are tryinh to have an integrated approach to fabrication using digital fabrication tools to print biology.
Even enginnering concepts and processes are being adapted for biofabrication for example (iGEM, BIOBRICKS, Openwetware), we do have the lab setup already and i would be very interested to meet with you and discuss the prospect of collaboration. This is our website, where you can find our contact: http://masteringdigitalfabrication.com/
Cheers

Andrew Gray

Feb 15, 2015, 12:28:56 AM2/15/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Abdenour,
    I was just checking back here to follow up a lead and saw your post. Chris is part of the BioHack Melb facebook group, check it out.

Really interested to look into your fablab. Do you know of any other similar endeavours/projects/start-ups?

Andrew

Biotech Ryan

Feb 15, 2015, 2:10:39 PM2/15/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

I've been involved with co-founding 3 biohackerspaces/biolabs (Counter Culture Labs, Berkeley Biolabs and IndieBio SF) and one hacker space (Sudo Room) and there are a few of my fellow co-founders here the could help as well and I highly recommend reaching out to the biofoundry (in Sydney) who are starting up too who will be able to help.

Here are some basic steps to set up a biohacker lab
1. Community is key, you can get started with weekly/biweekly meetings of 5-10 people, focus on one unifying project to get everyone excited and you can start moving on that project before you even have a space (even using someone's garage or spare room until you get a space up and  running). The key is to start and not wait for a space, the space will come after you build the community
2. Community is KEY - set up a meetup.com account as an earlier poster indicated
3. Make sure you have a twitter and facebook presence both personal and for the biohacker lab (that's another route people will find you).

When it comes time to set up a lab, Genspace did a great open lab project which will help provide some guidance and if you need further help feel free to reach out to more people who have been building their labs and launched them. My advice is start with a really small space as sustainability is always a problem for small biohacker labs, the cheaper the space the better!

Feel free to reach out to me if you need more help!
Best,
Ryan

Andrew Gray

Feb 15, 2015, 4:09:11 PM2/15/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for those amazing tips and resources! That is exactly what we need atm.  I'm sure Chris will post here too, and as an update he is now president of BioQuisitive in Melbourne. Our first community meet up is in the first week of March!

-Andrew

sent from my phone

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.

Abdenour Saaid

Feb 15, 2015, 6:42:13 PM2/15/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew, there are other similar labs around Melbourne, i met some of the people who are involved in a couple of them. But all of them are based around 3D printing exclusively as a making tool. In our lab, and due to my own interest and background, we are more interested in digital manufacturing technology in general, 3dprinting, cnc, laser and also biorinting and "biodigital fabrication", which basically is engineering principles applied to growing biological things using digital fabrication technology mentioned above.
Our website is http://masteringdigitalfabrication.com/, you will find all the necessary information to get in touch with me there. Let me know, when is the best time for you to meet up.
regards

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.

Biotech Ryan

Feb 16, 2015, 1:20:58 AM2/16/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com, Llewellyn Cox
You're welcome Andrew and really excited to hear more as it sounds like there's a lot going on in Melbourne. I suspect each biohacker/maker space will have its own flavor (which I'm really looking forward to see how each one evolves). As an example, biocurious pulls from a lot of technical talent from silicon valley both in software and hardware which has lead to some pretty interesting mashups (the Quantum Biology group being one) and Counter Culture labs is really rich with local SynBio and Molecular biology talent from UCSF, UC Berkeley and also the local biotech clusters, which continues to lead to interesting talks and of course the Vegan Cheese Project (which was a collab between the two).

Keep us posted how you guys evolve and we're currently in the process of trying to put together an alliance of biospaces to share best practice, advice and etc, Llewlyn Cox is leading the charge and we'll include you all in that group!

All the best,
Ryan

Christopher Pendlebury

Feb 21, 2015, 12:57:01 AM2/21/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
We're making exciting progress and I'm thrilled.

Hi Abdenour, I sent you an SMS to the number on your contact page, did you get it? Would love to meet.

Hi Ryan, thanks for the support! Will do.

Abdenour Saaid

Feb 21, 2015, 6:06:34 AM2/21/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christopher,
Yes i did get your message and i have emailed you back. Please let me know when is the best time for you to come to our lab.
The address is on our website http://masteringdigitalfabrication.com//
Give me a call on my mob: 0469308714 when ever you are ready to visit us.
Cheers

Tye Zer

May 20, 2015, 3:26:02 PM5/20/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in building a 3d bio-printer. Has your group tried to build one yet? I have seen BioCurious attempt efforts, and am looking for other examples, as well.

Thanks,
Have a good day

Temiloluwa

Andrew Gray

May 20, 2015, 8:59:09 PM5/20/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
not yet dude, i'm just in the midst of setting up the lab in the garage. BUT i have a spare printer we can use once that happens!