Help/advice needed: Synthesising pheromones for insect biocontrol

Bryan Hugill

Apr 10, 2019, 2:10:50 AM4/10/19
to DIYbio
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if anyone here can help me, but I'll ask anyway :) We've begun looking into the possibility of synthesising of pheromones for insect pest biocontrol for use by farmers in our organic cooperative here in NE Thailand, but we're not sure where to start (and before anyone asks, yes, we already work with beneficial insects but a little extra pheromone help in the biocontrol process would be great, especially where beneficials are difficult to breed / sustain / employ). There is a TINY range of pheromones available here on the market, but they're ridiculously expensive and the manufacturers have little interest in expanding the range (they make more money selling carcinogenic chemicals). So...is there anyone in this group of DIYbio awesome-sauce that would be keen to work with us on this or, at the very least, be able to point us in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for your help!

All the best from crazy hot Thailand,
Bryan

Dakota Hamill

Apr 10, 2019, 9:00:25 AM4/10/19
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I remember stumbling across these people before.

What specific compounds are you looking for?  There are pheromones, alamones, semiochemicals, etc.

Sounds like you found a business opportunity if the market really has high cost products with low product diversity.  You're closer to China and India where most of the organic chemistry in the world happens these days.  I'm sure you could get rediculously cheap stuff in bulk.

https://www.pheronym.com/  also does this.  I'm sure there are 1,000 other companies those are the only 2 I now off the top of my head.

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/2a8b5b70-7215-4b65-b9cc-2f3759b2f08b%40googlegroups.com.

Bryan Hugill

Apr 17, 2019, 2:43:43 AM4/17/19
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the help, Dakota! However, my preference is to produce the
pheromones ourselves, rather than having to import from India/China.