Question about centrifugation???

Experiments in prebiotic chemistry

Feb 18, 2020, 7:10:11 AM2/18/20
to DIYbio
Hi,

  I have a question about centrifugation.  I was wondering, if you centrifuge living cells, let's say oocytes for example, and you end up with a cell extract, wouldn't that cell extract be considered to be dead?  Doesn't centrifugation kill a living cell?

Cathal Garvey

Feb 18, 2020, 7:25:52 AM2/18/20
to diy...@googlegroups.com
It depends on how hard you centrifuge them. For larger and more complex cells, you centrifuge at a lower speed/force, and they tend to settle faster anyway. But for smaller, hard-walled, anucleic cells like bacteria and archaea, you can often centrifuge at full power and no harm done.

Bluntly, if you centrifuge a wall-less oocyte at 13,000rpm in a microcentrifuge then yes, you'll probably end up with cell extract. :)