low cost closed electroporator

Koeng

Apr 29, 2016, 5:09:50 PM4/29/16
to DIYbio
Hey

I have some organisms I would like to transform, and frankly, electroporation just works better. I would love to use an open source one, but that isn't happening very soon, so I have been considering for a while getting a used one off ebay. Does anyone have experience with a good pulse chamber + power supply combo? I would like to know what has been worked on (like perhaps the invitrogen electroporator ii) before I commit to a purchase.

-Koeng

Nathan McCorkle

Apr 29, 2016, 5:22:28 PM4/29/16
to diybio
I used a biorad micropulser at school, mainly for E.coli but it had a
yeast setting too, and maybe some things I don't remember. It wasn't
as big as the ones I see on ebay now.
> --
> "DIYbio" group.
> email to diybio+un...@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/dd3f4bb1-268b-4361-8728-6cfd036b73e1%40googlegroups.com.

-Nathan

Jake

May 5, 2016, 1:23:39 AM5/5/16
to DIYbio
We really should develop an open hardware unit.  They aren't that complicated.  Sadly, I've passed up a few old ones at auction that probably would have been dirt simple to reverse engineer. My current unit is a bit overcomplicated.

Nathan McCorkle

May 5, 2016, 2:12:21 PM5/5/16
to diybio

Jake, did you have a biorad micropulser? When you loaned me yours, years ago, I took it apart but I think failed to take photos, would be nice to get a look now that I'm more experienced with electronics.

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.

Marc Juul

May 5, 2016, 2:22:53 PM5/5/16
to DIYbio
On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 10:23 PM, Jake <jake...@mail.com> wrote:
We really should develop an open hardware unit.  They aren't that complicated.  Sadly, I've passed up a few old ones at auction that probably would have been dirt simple to reverse engineer. My current unit is a bit overcomplicated.

I started working on one but have limited time. I'll share stuff once I at least have a circuit diagram.

--
marc/juul

Jake

May 5, 2016, 4:12:23 PM5/5/16
to DIYbio
Yes.  I've got more experience with electronics now too.  I've been using the Biorad a bit lately, but might have a chance to crack it open again.  I've got my eyes open for an old unit now though, so hopefully I can fine one of those vintage units that are just some caps and switches with no real electronics to speak of.

Kind of interested in the flyback designs that are being pursued.  I made a flyback circuit to an ignition that was quasi-resonant with ZVS, completely controlled by a PIC.  I never mastered the calculations or really the theory, but just overcame that by directly controlling the switching with a uC.

Kermit Henson

May 6, 2016, 3:41:27 AM5/6/16
to DIYbio, ju...@labitat.dk
there are papers with low cost (50usd) open source electroporators (see link and attached file).
dont understand why we have to reinvent the wheel. i prefer to copy and improve the results
Bullmann_et_al-2015-Development,_Growth_&_Differentiation.pdf

Marc Juul

May 6, 2016, 4:15:38 AM5/6/16
to Kermit Henson, DIYbio
On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 12:41 AM, Kermit Henson <kerm...@gmail.com> wrote:
there are papers with low cost (50usd) open source electroporators (see link and attached file).
dont understand why we have to reinvent the wheel. i prefer to copy and improve the results

Well because I didn't know about it :) The electroporation voltage used in that paper was much lower than what I've ever seen used for e.g. yeast or E. coli and their device does not seem capable of producing higher voltages. Still, I'll be sure read it more thoroughly. Thanks for sharing! I definitely don't want to duplicate work that has already been done.

I did see that one but that design is $500 and requires an external 2.5kV supply. It should be possible to make a device capable of a wide range of voltages all the way up to 2.5kV for less than $100 total and without relying on an external supply.

--
marc/juul

Kermit Henson

May 6, 2016, 4:28:15 AM5/6/16
to DIYbio, kerm...@gmail.com, ju...@labitat.dk
sorry if i sound arrogant. my background is more in the biology field than in the electronics

yes, you are right. this device is for mouse in utero electroporation, so it's normal that you use lower currents. but i guessed that it should be easier to start from this paper and the info from missouri university