SKETCH A BIOLUDDITE - A SCIENCE AND ACTIVISM WORKSHOP WITH LISA MA - SAT 6 FEBRUARY 2016

Claudia Lastra

Jan 19, 2016, 10:19:38 AM1/19/16
to DIYbio

Hello there Arts Catalyst have a workshop on Bioludditism with Lisa MA:

SKETCH A BIOLUDDITE 2.00pm - 5.00pm
Sat 6 February 2016

Arts Catalyst Centre for Art, Science and Technology
74-76 Cromer Street
London
WC1H 8DR

A SCIENCE AND ACTIVISM WORKSHOP WITH LISA MA

For every technological era, there are sub-cultures that resist the flow and whose critical perspective inspires the rest of society. This workshop invites the general public and scientists to a comic forensic sketch to identify an emerging subculture called Bioluddites.

What does society look like when you put historic activists with future science? Lisa Ma invites scientists, biohackers and the general public to an open forensic sketch session.

Lisa believes that designing a cultural memory of activism in technology is an essential part of public engagements with science. She provokes the scientific community by asking everyone to imagine how Luddism would affect society in the Biotechnological era. Rather than portraying these historical activists as criminals of the past, Lisa Ma argues that they are in fact the engaged citizens of the future.

This workshop will ask:

Why should scientists anticipate activism with their technology?

What might the general public celebrate in Luddism?

How could biohackers socialize activism for result is more productive than political engagement?

Lisa Ma has been invited to contribute to Notes from the Field: Commoning Practices in Art and Science, as a resident researcher, speaker and workshop leader. Notes from the Field is multi-faceted project that investigates the notion of art as a tool or tactic for action with communities, with a focus on projects involving science and technology or driven by ecological concerns.

Webpage:

http://www.artscatalyst.org/sketch-bioluddite-science-and-activism-workshop-lisa-ma

Book here:

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/sketch-a-bioluddite-a-science-and-activism-workshop-with-lisa-ma-tickets-20761997694

Thanks!

Claudia

Cathal Garvey

Jan 19, 2016, 10:40:24 AM1/19/16
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I met Lisa briefly at TED 2012 in Edinburgh and she seemed like a lot of
fun to work with; if I were in a position to sign up, I would. :)
> --
> Groups "DIYbio" group.
> an email to diybio+un...@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/4dd2ab1e-3d0e-48d8-80ec-93266dc62a78%40googlegroups.com.

David Murphy

Jan 19, 2016, 10:54:54 AM1/19/16
to diy...@googlegroups.com
So are bioluddites like people who burn GM crop fields, destroy vaccine aid shipments and attack people with electronic implants etc?