Any DIYBio in Triangle NC

Mike Lisanke

Jan 25, 2015, 4:07:17 AM1/25/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
May be there are too many universities in my area for a non-academic BioTech lab to make sense :-D. I know others interested in DIY Bio, but; I a limited Bio Lab background. If there are people with experience and interest in setting up a lab, please contact me here. Thanks, Mike

Jim Rose

Feb 22, 2015, 4:30:01 PM2/22/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike. I'm an engineer with a MS degree in biotechnology currently working in the Triangle. I've been toying with the idea trying to find other folks interested in DIY bio for a while now. I've always thought the triangle should be a great place for it too. Are you still interested in getting a group together?

Jim

ajh...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2015, 11:56:56 AM3/9/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
We're a bit farther south, but I've got small group in Shelby NC.

SSL

Mar 19, 2015, 7:28:33 PM3/19/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Let's have a meeting at the Frontier complex in RTP or Launch Chappel Hill next week.

I can schedule a meeting room.

Let's get this going! My name is ily.

Jim Rose

Mar 20, 2015, 7:53:28 AM3/20/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ily. Sure, I'd be up for meeting. I prefer RTP, but that might be a little far for the folks to come from Shelby. Regardless (even if it is just us) it could be good to meet and discuss some ideas.

I'm pretty free in the next couple weeks in the evenings or on the weekend. Let me know.

Jim

Tom Randall

Mar 20, 2015, 4:06:44 PM3/20/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I would be interested in attending, I have had a home based lab set up in Durham for quite a while, if any of you get a lab going around here, I would probably have some equipment or reagants to donate, maybe even useful advice.
www.roningenetics.org

Tom

SSL

Mar 26, 2015, 6:37:26 PM3/26/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com

Ok, i reserved a meeting room at the Frontier in RTP for 2 Apr, next week, at 1:30-2:30 PM.
http://www.rtp.org/about-us/the-frontier/drop-space/

If anyone can make it, we'll meet there. If not, i'll keep reserving it every week at various times, until someone shows up, or i can't do it anymore.

Jim, if you want to meet in the evening or weekends, please advise where and when. The Frontier is closed then.

Mike Lisanke

Mar 27, 2015, 9:52:01 AM3/27/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I zoned out for a couple months. I get a lot of email :-D. If there's a meeting next week Thurs, I'll be there.

Steven Stowell

Mar 27, 2015, 12:49:29 PM3/27/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Is it too early link to something describing this meeting outside of this mail group, (eg Meet-up)?  Perhaps others could pass around a link.

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/40b4bd54-6208-4d5f-9a3e-492293c3933d%40googlegroups.com.

Mike Lisanke

Mar 27, 2015, 10:39:39 PM3/27/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I'd be happy to suggest this meeting to the "Science Minded Social Group in the Raleigh Cary Area" meetup. They have, in the past, tried to call for a DIYBio meeting without success.

Can we confirm the time and location of the meeting again and get a count off of those who know they can make the meeting?

Mike Lisanke

Mar 27, 2015, 11:08:38 PM3/27/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
BTW, I looked at the Frontier website calendar, but; I didn't see this meeting scheduled. I did start a discussion on the mentioned meetup about schedule the meeting.

Jim Rose

Mar 28, 2015, 11:14:17 AM3/28/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Okay, I think I can sneak out and join you all on Thursday for a little. Thanks Mike for plugging for us at the meetup. My thought is that we should wait until we can meet first, describe a bit of what we're looking to do, and get a feel for what we might be able to start here before investing in something like our own meetup group. How best to get the word out and attract more interested folks is definitely something I want to discuss more.

See you on Thursday,

Jim

P.s. Tom, super impressed with your operation. It would be fantastic if you could come share a bit of your experiences with the rest of us.

Tom Randall

Mar 29, 2015, 5:25:42 PM3/29/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I am planning on it.
Tom

SSL

Apr 3, 2015, 1:12:50 PM4/3/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Just for the record and the benefit of others searching for RTP/RDU area DIYBio enthusiasts: we did meet at the Frontier, and plan to meet again to continue organizing a local group, with the help and expertise of the initial nucleus of experienced, accomplished scientists and academics who attended.

As we move ahead to tangible operations, we'll have more public announcements of our meetings, when there is progress to publicize.

Until then, if you wish to contact our avantgarde group, please PM me, and i will add you to our emailing list.

Biotech Ryan

Jan 5, 2021, 9:22:45 AM1/5/21
to DIYbio
Hi All, is there still a DIYBio group in RTP?

Tom Randall

Jan 6, 2021, 10:42:33 AM1/6/21
to DIYbio
Yes, there is still a DIYBio group in RTP. It is Triangle DIY Biology (tridiybio.org). Our physical space is in our local makerspace in Durham, SplatSpace (Splatspace.org). We have a weekly open in person meetup every Saturday from 1-4 PM called Saturday Science, but otherwise our interactions are largely online during the pandemic.
Tom

Biotech Ryan

Jan 14, 2021, 9:58:15 AM1/14/21
to DIYbio
Super thank you Tom! I'm one of the early DIY Bio people from the bay area (ryan bethencourt) and I've moved to Durham. I'm looking forward to being part of the community and hoping to help people build projects here! I'll join up!