Crowdfunding for a solid phase extraction/thin layer chromatography platform

Jay Patel

Sep 6, 2017, 12:58:33 PM9/6/17
to DIYbio
Hi Guys, we are in final stages of launching a crowdfunding campaign for a home-based test platform for identifying pollutants in drinking water (http://www.analyzechemicals.com)

Its based on solid phase extraction (SPE) and thin layer chromatography (TLC), and our goal is make it accessible enough so that anyone can test using ChemPrint and we are running a larger user trials at University of Georgia, Athens, GA.

Our campaign page is ----> http://experiment.com/chemprint
How to build a ChemPrint prototype ---> https://experiment.com/u/sy5Inw

Please let us know if you have any questions and we hope that this will be of interest to DIYBio community especially since SPE/TLC has very broad applications in analyzing plant/fungal extracts etc.

Markos

Sep 8, 2017, 9:24:05 AM9/8/17
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Patel,

Very important and interesting project.

Have you ever thought about some alternative stationary phase?

Which could be prepared at home?

For example, a paper pulp (in column), or a sheet of paper (for TLC) impregnated with some substance to have selectivity comparable to a C18?

For example functionalize the cellulose by applying some substance on a sheet of paper and promote the reaction by ironing.

What do you think about?

Congratulations,
Markos
Learn more at www.diybio.org