Why is my Gluconobacter Agar not sticking to my petri dish?

Philipp Kollenz

Jul 7, 2015, 10:08:18 AM7/7/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

My Gluconobacter Agar (http://www.thelabrat.com/protocols/GluconobacterAgar.shtml) won't stick to my petri dish. After drying it gets watery again and shrinks about 10% in diameter. When I try to turn the dish around, it just falls of. Potato dextrose agar just works fine with the same procedure, what am I doing wrong?

Cathal Garvey

Jul 7, 2015, 3:47:32 PM7/7/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, it's possible that the mild settling you expect for CaC03 in the
gluconobacter agar reduces the adherence of the gel to the bottom of the
agar plate, so it dislodges sooner than other agars would.

Given the long culture-times you need to observe Gluconacetobacter
xylinus making cellulose, perhaps drying prior to culture isn't
necessary or even advisable? Unless it's dripping wet, streak straight
onto the place and flip to face-downwards carefully to avoid runny cells
from spreading where they're not wanted.

You don't need to raise G.xylinus on gluconobacter agar except when
isolating it, it'll grow happily on many other simple agars, so don't
feel tied to this basic differentiating agar once you have a pure strain.
> --
> Groups "DIYbio" group.
> an email to diybio+un...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:diybio+un...@googlegroups.com>.
> <mailto:diy...@googlegroups.com>.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/2b2c10b2-d853-4908-9f04-0a048f786d3c%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/2b2c10b2-d853-4908-9f04-0a048f786d3c%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Scientific Director, IndieBio EU Programme
Now running in Cork, Ireland May->July
Learn more at indie.bio and follow along!
Twitter: @onetruecathal
Phone: +353876363185
miniLock: JjmYYngs7akLZUjkvFkuYdsZ3PyPHSZRBKNm6qTYKZfAM
peerio.com: cathalgarvey

Angel Regalado

Jul 10, 2015, 6:37:26 AM7/10/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com