disposable dental syringes

DK

Apr 20, 2018, 4:42:43 PM4/20/18
to DIYbio
Does anyone know if disposable dental syringes are clean enough to do molecular work with? There are a bunch of cheap listings on amazon for these. I am looking to do needle DNA shearing, so I don't want any contaminations.

Patrik D'haeseleer

Apr 21, 2018, 1:29:18 AM4/21/18
to DIYbio
Sure - they're individually packaged, sterile, and dirt cheap. Don't see why it wouldn't work.

Patrik

John Griessen

Apr 21, 2018, 10:51:52 AM4/21/18
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On 04/20/2018 03:24 PM, DK wrote:
> I am looking to do needle DNA shearing, so I don't want any contaminations.

You're not talking about plasticizer leaching out of the plunger, are you? There probably is some of that
happening. If you're not caring about that, but sterility, they're factory fresh from hot plastic molding,
so few live critters floated into those packages before sterilizing.
Probably radiation sterilized rather than steam.