Synthetic Eggs?

Cory Geesaman

Jul 23, 2016, 1:23:08 PM7/23/16
to DIYbio
What would be the most efficient and reliable manner of creating viable synthetic reptile eggs?

The ideal from my perspective would be to be able to synthesize a genome and implant it into a single egg or sperm cell then grow that within some form of bioreactor, but if nobody has done that as of yet something more akin to altering the sperm and impregnating a female of a similar species would be the least invasive.  Does anyone know of a procedure to accomplish either of these where whole-genome implantation might be possible (as opposed to something like crispr?)

Forrest Flanagan

Jul 23, 2016, 1:40:04 PM7/23/16
to diybio
To be clear, is the goal of this project to hatch a fire breathing dragon?

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/a7f753d1-4392-4e24-9846-1881da678f78%40googlegroups.com.

Alan WiIliams

Jul 23, 2016, 1:41:47 PM7/23/16
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Questions like this is why I love DIY bio.

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/a7f753d1-4392-4e24-9846-1881da678f78%40googlegroups.com.

Alan Williams

Life is short, art long, opportunity fleeting, experience deceptive, judgement difficult.

Mega [Andreas Stuermer]

Jul 23, 2016, 2:17:49 PM7/23/16
to DIYbio
If you want to breed another repile, just exchanging the nucleus should work in theory. If you want to put a human cell in there, you would need the most fancy stem cell of all. ES that can also form placenta tissue. Or do you actually  need a placenta if you have your cozy egg with all the nutrients?

Yeah definitely don't make a synthetic egg as long as there are reptiles in the wild whose eggs you can *borrow* and re-purpose

Mega [Andreas Stuermer]

Jul 23, 2016, 2:19:55 PM7/23/16
to DIYbio
I wonder. If you have say a salamander emybronic stem cell from an egg that has a kanamycin marker gene included. And you put it into the re-purposed lizzard egg. Then you add kanamycin and only the salamander cell can divide and take over the nutrients.

You'd have to try though. Keep us posted how it goes ;)

Cory Geesaman

Jul 27, 2016, 1:27:58 AM7/27/16
to DIYbio
I was going to try for a 4-legged lizard with wings first but ideally.

Koeng

Jul 27, 2016, 11:48:28 AM7/27/16
to DIYbio
I think that's going to a bit harder than you might think.
(We have a pretty hard time transferring metabolic pathways, which are a LOT simpler)

-Koeng