kill the bacteria in the dinoflagelate's home

陳彥吟

Apr 24, 2015, 8:01:09 PM4/24/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Dear Professionals

I make a acrylic tank for grow the dinos at home.

However, after I finish the containter, it left some dust and spot that I can't move.

I can't boil the water for killing the bacteria with acrylic box.

Do I have any materials or methods to kill the bacteria before I immigrate the dinos to the new home?

Thanks

Island

Muralidharan E.M.

Apr 24, 2015, 11:41:48 PM4/24/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
If you don't plan to do it repeatedly, I think a wash with bleach and alcohol followed by  sterile water would be sufficient for your purpose.

Murali

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/16c968fc-b5c2-4ba4-8a31-b54966de1d0f%40googlegroups.com.

Mega [Andreas Stuermer]

Apr 25, 2015, 8:11:48 AM4/25/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
70% Ethanol or Isopropanol should do fine...

If really neccessary, add Penicilin, Ampicillin or Tetracycline to the medium too? Won't harm the algae but the bacteria. Though it would be breeding resistant bacteria, frankly...

Avery louie

Apr 25, 2015, 9:29:41 AM4/25/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I would not use any alcohols- they tend to make acrylic develop tiny cracks, also called crazing.  Bleach looks like it is ok.

http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Plastics_Library/Chemical-Resistance-of-Plexiglass-Acrylic

--A

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---