COVID related pathology

Abizar Lakdawalla

Jul 1, 2020, 1:34:22 PM7/1/20
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Great article in Wash Post on results from autopsies of patients who have died from COVID

"the virus appeared to destroy these cells, which produce platelets, leading to uncontrolled bleeding ... found widespread clotting in many organs ... abnormal clotting in the heart, kidney, liver, as well as the lungs of seven patients, leading the authors to suggest this may be a major cause of the multiple-organ failure in covid-19 patients ... associated with abundance of a rare cell called megakaryocytes, which produce platelets that control clotting, typically exist only in the bone marrow and lungs ... the widespread presence of tiny clots (in brains) was “striking.” “If you have one blood clot in the brain, we see that all the time. But what we’re seeing is some patients are having multiple strokes in blood vessels that are in two or even three different territories,” ... suggest anti-platelet medications, in addition to blood thinners, may be helpful to stem the effects of covid-19.

Maria Chavez

Jul 1, 2020, 2:56:42 PM7/1/20
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Its amazing how much we are still learning about how this virus spreads throughout the body and does damage.  I wonder how this will affect disease treatment and if it gives us any new types of therapeutic targets.

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/CAND8PcOA9Ku_g1LaCbjidhZocViHKstWxLn1n7f3eE4H_%2BccWQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Frank Garcia

Jul 8, 2020, 1:10:24 PM7/8/20
to DIYbio
We have known for some time that COVID-19 is a disease in which an initial viral infection kicks off several runaway pathological processes that can be successfully mitigated if treated knowledgeably.  Unfortunately doctors have been treating COVID-19 strictly as a viral infection and as pneumonia without updating their knowledge of this disease or working more collaboratively with the multiple specialization. COVID-19 exposed one of the many consequences of being without a centralized healthcare system in the US. Without a central authority issuing updated guidelines to doctors treating COVID patients, we saw a wide disparity of knowledge and case fatality rate across the country.  Here are some of the many papers published since the pandemic started. As you can see there is a vast difference between what we know and could bring to bear on the disease in the clinic and what is actually being practiced.

https://www.ebmedicine.net/topics/infectious-disease/COVID-19/Protocols
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/path.2987
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1684118220300657
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30141-9/fulltext
https://www.coagulomed.com/s/Coagulo-Medical-Technologies-COVID19-and-the-Role-of-Advanced-Coagulation-Therapy-and-Monitoring.pdf
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/jth.14860
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0092867420302294
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41574-020-0353-9?fbclid=IwAR0_mukyLts4NDP47qzNB1QK9y0LVmohNQCqZDogHK4ULbh7jAOy1maToeY
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/rth2.12357
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32613681/
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30132-8/fulltext?rss=yes&utm_campaign=update-laninf&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=84189611&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8RghsAw_DEaPsvoGNQ2wQmlzBKQTBUp_wCgamJlQyjRnn7h99GsA7d1SndeGc-o6C1nWe9XWHrj5hGpuW9AE3aEV6bVg&_hsmi=84189611

S James Parsons Jr

Jul 8, 2020, 2:38:30 PM7/8/20
to diy...@googlegroups.com
This is fantastic, I always called this the slinky effect on how new knowledge is disseminated from one end to the other.  My solution is a yearly video per degree type, that encompasses all the headline discoveries in that year that were peer reviewed.   I think this would spark new life to an idea that was shelved years ago...