Netflix Original Series - Biohackers

Jérôme Lutz

Aug 21, 2020, 11:01:32 AM8/21/20
to DIYbio
Dear Biohackers, Dear DIY Community,

You might have heard already somewhere on the web, there is a new Netflix Series on Biohackers that launched today! Here is the trailer and here is the series.

Last year my crew and I had the pleasure to inspire, consult and work with the director and the film crew as well as helped them get access to many labs and locations in Munich. Later in the production, our main focus became setting up and equipping the labs of the Professor and the Biohackers.

At that point, a big thanks to everyone who contributed some of their devices and DIY machinery! For those who are curious where they can see their stuff, I created a website dedicated for the labs - no spoilers, just lab and biohackspace porn :-)

Besides building a thrilling story and adding the classic Netflix plot components, I think they especially did a wonderful job portraying some of the famous biohacks of the past. Of course, in a fictional movie you cannot make quotes but I would assume that those scenes are wonderful homages to the work of biohackers and body hackers.

These are the biohacks shown in the series:

Bio Hacks
  • Classical GFP Mouse
  • Mushrooms tasting like chicken
  • Bio Piano
  • Glowing Hemp plant
  • Face Picture from DNA
Body hacks
  • THC Chip implant
  • Night Vision Droplets
  • RFID Implant
  • Magnet Implants in the fingers
Which projects could have been the inspiration for those biohacks?
What did you like, what did you not?  Any ideas für future biohacks?

Enjoy it and looking forward to hear from you,

Jérôme

Jonathan Cline

Aug 22, 2020, 1:55:25 AM8/22/20
to DIYbio
I believe the best route for you to take would be to convert the website's labs to Jupyter notebooks sync'ed with git.

Jérôme Lutz

Aug 22, 2020, 2:01:22 AM8/22/20
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Nice one! If i get the chance, i will put this example up on the Professor's Lorenz screen next episode ;-)
image.png

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/3858f048-650d-4d9a-9e10-82b058e2484en%40googlegroups.com.

--
__________
Jérôme Lutz

Let's have a chat and find a spot in our calendars.

Mobile 017624438573

JL ventures UG | Brahmsstr. 9a
81677 München

Registered Office: Munich, HBR 226542
District Court Munich, VAT No DE307156114

Nathan McCorkle

Aug 22, 2020, 3:32:41 PM8/22/20
to diybio
On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 8:01 AM Jérôme Lutz <jer...@synbio.info> wrote:
> Besides building a thrilling story and adding the classic Netflix plot components, I think they especially did a wonderful job portraying some of the famous biohacks of the past. Of course, in a fictional movie you cannot make quotes but I would assume that those scenes are wonderful homages to the work of biohackers and body hackers.

So is this Netflix thing fiction or documentary?

Jérôme Lutz

Aug 22, 2020, 3:46:12 PM8/22/20
to diy...@googlegroups.com
It's a thriller and the director's goal was to place it 5 minutes into the future. However, with covid some parts are now a few months in the past, e.g. something comparable to the first scene in the train happend kind of similar at the German Austrian border.

The Bio- and Bodyhacks that are shown are actually nice homages to experiments that were created by the community in the past. Also, there are references to the biohackers that did genetherapy on themselves as well as the human embryo experiments in Shenzhen. So in the end, it's something in between, but the story is of course fictional - luckily.

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.

boj Ko

Aug 24, 2020, 8:30:31 AM8/24/20
to diy...@googlegroups.com
If in your mind it is Biohacking. Better read about what the resident who escaped from North Korea saw. )
I wanted to post a link but it has already been removed along with the source.

сб, 22 авг. 2020 г. в 22:46, Jérôme Lutz <jer...@synbio.info>:
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/CAC0-w1LNvd%2BK%3D1KcVTTgfonUkNf4ouPi6cv_QF9pKUb0CWFkow%40mail.gmail.com.

Tom De Medts

Sep 8, 2020, 6:02:21 PM9/8/20
to DIYbio
coverage in SCIENCE magazine...

Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 2.48.37 AM.png