Personal DNA Sequencer Genapsys

Jason Bobe

Jul 2, 2015, 11:53:55 AM7/2/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
This could be a fun device:

Interested to see pricing on device and consumables.

Jason

Jeswin

Jul 2, 2015, 12:16:02 PM7/2/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Did Sigma acquire GenapSys? I'm more interested in how it works, but not much is seen on the sites. I did find the founder and his patents/articles:

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=Esfandyarpour&btnG=&as_sdt=1%2C39&as_sdtp=
https://www.google.com/search?tbo=p&tbm=pts&hl=en&q=ininventor:%22Hesaam+Esfandyarpour%22&gws_rd=ssl

Might be interesting to see what's there.

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/4915700b-f157-4561-b8c1-cde7d4404fce%40googlegroups.com.

In necessary things unity; in uncertain things freedom; in everything compassion.
-Marco Antonio Dominis

Avery louie

Jul 2, 2015, 3:04:23 PM7/2/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com

Brian Degger

Jul 2, 2015, 3:21:11 PM7/2/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com

Bit ironic calling it gnu-
GNU is an operating system that is free software—that is, it respects users' freedom. The development of GNU made it possible to use a computer without software that would trample your freedom.

Nathan McCorkle

Jul 2, 2015, 4:05:56 PM7/2/15
to diybio
From reading the one main-looking patent:
It seems like micro/nano well, flow in dNTPs, watch for molecular
evolution via nano-sensors (i.e. a change in current, impedance),
correlate sensor reading with dNTP just flowed in. It seems the magnet
part is only to enable movement/positioning of the bead in the channel

The GnuBio machine is interesting in that it seems to take in gDNA and
emit results, doing lots of the prep work for you.

SC

Jul 2, 2015, 4:48:36 PM7/2/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, but 126 bp reads from GnuBio makes it unsuitable for whole genome sequencing.  Good for clones, though.

Cathal (Phone)

Jul 2, 2015, 6:15:06 PM7/2/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com, Brian Degger
Aw, when I saw GnuBio I thought exactly that, that it was a "Free/Libre Biotech" thing. :(

Jeswin John

Jul 2, 2015, 6:27:36 PM7/2/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
The founder of Genapsys seems to have been involved with the Ion torrent technology since I read somewhere that his patents were sold to Life Technologies (or something like that). So he might be using some variant of Ion Torrent technology; probably enough variation not to be in violation of any of the patents he sold.

Nathan's point about the GnuBio machine taking gDNA is something I wondered about the Genapsys machine. If GnuBio can do that, then it is a game changer. From my experience with the Ion Torrent, preparing DNA libraries is probably the most time consuming part of sequencing.

Lots of questions, so few answers