Amino bio

Koeng

Oct 22, 2015, 9:55:57 AM10/22/15
to DIYbio
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/amino-desktop-bioengineering-for-everyone#/

Interesting idea. I find that I would most likely only use this for continuous evolution, based on the tools included.

-Koeng

Nathan McCorkle

Oct 22, 2015, 12:31:06 PM10/22/15
to diybio

My first thought when I saw the internals was 'this is going to suck if it ever gets contaminated'. I can only think that they've designed in such a way to keep nutrients flowing in one direction only... But once something gets dirty, with all the small plastic parts, not sure if a chemical sterilization will cut it.

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/ca9a9b41-cdd9-4866-b9ee-4b3e8b5d2a79%40googlegroups.com.

John Griessen

Oct 22, 2015, 12:48:36 PM10/22/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On 10/22/2015 08:55 AM, Koeng wrote:
> https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/amino-desktop-bioengineering-for-everyone#/
>
> Interesting idea. I find that I would most likely only use this for continuous evolution, based on the tools included.

The feature list is a good specification for a bioreactor for continuous growing, the switch
to another variety or species using its easy chemical inactivation that is automated.

The Amino One seems definitely "hand crafted" as they say, and with a high price tag to pay for that.

I've got a question for you diybioers: If you have a system of connections based on O-rings that are compressed
so they create surface seams that are not deep in grooves, how effective would H2O2 be if purging/sterilizing was
accompanied by higher than normal system pressure?

I am thinking the flexible O-rings would cave in some with the extra pressure, thus exposing more of the seam
crack to the sterilizing agent (H2O2 or other).

Flex tubing probably will expose more surface as pressure goes up if the tubing is push-on type of fitting.
Amino shows ordinary flex tubing pushed onto a clear fitting in video titled "RFP culture in Amino P2".
I wonder if that can really be sterilized enough with liquid disinfectant?

BraveScience

Oct 23, 2015, 1:51:39 AM10/23/15
to DIYbio
Well, for strain evolution a 100ml Erlenmeyer would be less prone to contamination than the amino. But again, who made it had different aims than a biologist, even though functionality is heavily compromised.

As Nathan said I felt too strangely shock when I saw the inverted tube with wooden caps.
Oh jeez, that's gonna suck if you wanna sterilise it, even with chemicals.
Autoclaving is the easiest way to avoid contaminations, that's it. All those pieces of equipment fit in a pressure cooker it seems. So why not?

Nice design though, and nice campaign. But as it is I would not buy it.

GavinScott

Feb 10, 2016, 5:29:04 PM2/10/16
to DIYbio

On Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 8:55:57 AM UTC-5, Koeng wrote:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/amino-desktop-bioengineering-for-everyone#/

Interesting idea. I find that I would most likely only use this for continuous evolution, based on the tools included.

This thing is back in the news again lately, such as:

I have to say though that every picture I've seen has my performance-art bullshit-detector senses screaming.

G.

John Griessen

Feb 11, 2016, 10:40:05 AM2/11/16
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On 02/10/2016 04:29 PM, GavinScott wrote:
> I have to say though that every picture I've seen has my performance-art bullshit-detector senses screaming.

LOL <grin> It does look kind of kindergarten, doesn't it?