Nuts & Volts Magazine DIY Biotech "Get Started With Fermentation and pH" article

Jonathan Cline

Feb 16, 2019, 1:56:24 PM2/16/19
to DIYbio
Another 'diybio in the mainstream', a nice educational project article explaining basic bio science (including, gasp, math!).

However the educational content could just as likely have been published in 1919 (when homebrew yoghurt was actually very popular) as well as 2019.  Looking forward to the days when diybio project articles in the mainstream get beyond early 1900's technology.  Where's the tech?  Incubating yoghurt is not yet even steampunk-level sophistication.  Nuts & Volts should try my Tecan biorobotics project.

Abstract Quote

NUTS & VOLTS MAGAZINE (NOVEMBER 2018)

DIY BIOTECH: HARNESSING BACTERIA FOR FERMENTATION
By Bryan Bergeron

Do-it-yourself biology is a growing biotechnological social movement in which individuals, communities, and small organizations study biology and life science using the same methods as traditional research institutions. In this first installment of a series of DIY Biotech articles, we’ll look at bacterial fermentation in the form of yogurt making. Not only is this a low-cost, low-risk entry into practical DIY biotech, you’ll learn a lot about monitoring pH as well.

End Quote

--
## Jonathan Cline
## Mobile: +1-805-617-0223