biotinkering internship position

Pieter

Jul 7, 2014, 2:13:35 PM7/7/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
At Waag Society's Open Wetlab we are looking for an intern to research our Biotinkering activities. If you are a student, this is an unique opportunity to combine your studies and DIYBio!

Informed by the principles of participatory mediated informal knowledge communities (Jenkins et al. 2006, Schäfer 2011, Resnick & Rosenbaum 2013) one of our lab's goals is to perpetuate literate DIY-Biologists by teaching the required skills and critical thought. Social scientists that studied our activities, such as the “Do-It-Together Bio” events and “Open Wetlab = Open” evenings, brought to light the need for facilitated Biotinkering as an intermediary stage between the former fully guided workshops and the latter completely open ended events.

The ideal candidate has an interest in the concepts of tinkering, learning-by-making, the field of bio art and bio design, Do-It-Yourself Biology and/or citizen science and wants to gain experience in micromobilisation, participatory culture, communication and user framing. Using Waag Society's “Users as Designers” methodology you will conduct creative action research that will include hands-on workshops and informal mentorship of lab users.

More information can be found on http://waag.org/en/job/internship-biotinkering-open-wetlab

There is also a second open internship position in a project concerning open drug discovery and antibiotics. A full description can be found here: http://waag.org/en/job/open-antibiotics-internship-open-wetlab

For more information, please send an email to pie...@waag.org