Animal Genetic Engineering

Brian Amburn

Dec 12, 2016, 10:14:12 PM12/12/16
to DIYbio
Hi all,

I want to genetically enhance animals.  I would like to give extra functions to mice and maybe attempt to make them more intelligent and possibly muscular, maybe try to make them live longer too.  I understand this would be incredibly difficult, but it's what I want to do.  I also understand that ethical concerns would be made, and that I would need to cross them/answer them.  I have a rather good understanding of genetics (college level) but I have no true microbiology/genetics lab experience.  I would certainly appreciate anyone helping me find out what I would need to try this including equipment, knowledge, genes, etc.  Also if anyone could help me better understand how to do this I would greatly appreciate that.  In time I will gain more experience in this field as I am taking more classes and will likely be working in a lab soon.  I'm just incredibly interested and passionate about this stuff, so I would love some help.

Thanks,
Brian

Felipe Tanaami

Dec 13, 2016, 1:55:01 AM12/13/16
to DIYbio
For sure it's a hard task. I suggest you to start with bacteria, doing simple experiments first, because much of the skills you will learn will be used in mammalian cells, but is a lot easier and you wont fail like you will if you start with advanced techniques. There are lot of material to study on the internet, like biobuilder.org, and being affiliated with a biohackerspace would be great, since they will have lots of equipments and people who might help you.

Brian Amburn

Dec 13, 2016, 3:53:33 PM12/13/16
to DIYbio
Thanks for suggesting that site, I'll look into doing those experiments, and sadly as it turns out there's no biohackerspace near me, so I might have to start my own.

Mega [Andreas Stuermer]

Dec 18, 2016, 3:13:57 PM12/18/16
to DIYbio
Check out sperm-mediated transformation. All you need then is PCRing together a construct - or having it synthesized if you can afford. And obviously a way to collect sperm from the animal you want enhance (I don't recommend tigers).

Mega [Andreas Stuermer]

Dec 18, 2016, 3:15:12 PM12/18/16
to DIYbio
Make sure to consider the ethics. If you make mice much smarter, they may be considered human-like sentient beings and you should make sure to treat them well, big cage, toys, food, magazines, etc.

Felipe Tanaami

Dec 18, 2016, 4:23:38 PM12/18/16
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Next polemics: Should intelligent mice be used in psychiatrics experiments?

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups DIYbio group. To post to this group, send email to diy...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=en
Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/a3d6fb14-b53c-475d-a994-017ef6764290%40googlegroups.com.

Simon Quellen Field

Dec 18, 2016, 4:34:58 PM12/18/16
to diybio
Don't make them smart enough to avoid mousetraps.
It's hard enough building better mousetraps without people going around building better mice.
:-)

-----
Get a free science project every week! "http://scitoys.com/newsletter.html"

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.