Anyone else want to take Intro to CRYO-EM class with me on Coursera?

Nathan McCorkle

Aug 10, 2015, 5:32:02 PM8/10/15
to diybio
I got an electron microscope a few months ago and just found this
course that I'm going to start going through:
https://www.coursera.org/learn/cryo-em/outline

Anyone else interested to work along with me?

My goal is to be able to repair my SEM and add in some custom
instrumentation or mechanical stuff (sensors, gantry/stage type
stuff). These goals are outside the scope of this course, but I expect
the course will only aide my general comfort with the subject area.

--
-Nathan

Nathan McCorkle

Aug 10, 2015, 10:21:44 PM8/10/15
to diybio
From the first 3 minute intro video, he said that Cryo EM is more and
more fulfilling Richard Feynman, the famous physicist's quote: "It is
very easy to answer many of these fundamental biological questions;
you just look at the thing!"

With Cryo EM, you can freeze biological samples, and in some cases
with just a few good images, get atomic-resolution 3D models of all
the atoms and molecules in your sample.
--
-Nathan

djwr...@gmail.com

Aug 10, 2015, 11:49:15 PM8/10/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Great find! One of our members is building a single molecule resolution microscope. If we can score a sem I'll take the course. I may take it regardless.

Dan
LaBiohackers
> --
> -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups DIYbio group. To post to this group, send email to diy...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+un...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=en
> Learn more at www.diybio.org
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/CA%2B82U9LJH9TrKqrVxJ7q4FGf0bqwSZpfstWPpFAMhEGWwc8JbQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Bryan Hugill

Aug 11, 2015, 4:41:33 AM8/11/15
to DIYbio
Do you have any additional info about that single molecule resolution microscope? Would be great to be able to replicate something like that over here!

Shubham Goyal

Aug 11, 2015, 5:14:30 AM8/11/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thanks for this notice about the course :) I will also take it. If you want, we can work together. I do not like taking courses in isolation, I get distracted :-P

Thanks.

Warmest Regards,
Shubham.

Nathan McCorkle

Aug 11, 2015, 5:33:20 PM8/11/15
to diybio
On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 2:14 AM, Shubham Goyal <shubha...@nus.edu.sg> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for this notice about the course :) I will also take it. If you want,
> we can work together. I do not like taking courses in isolation, I get
> distracted :-P
>
> Thanks.
>
> Warmest Regards,
> Shubham.

Great!

I got through about an hour of the course last night! I am now ready
to start watching "The Column".

So far, I am ready to ask whether the per-lens deflection correction
and the beam astigmatism correction utilize the same coils or not. It
seems for deflection, each opposite coil-pair potential would adjust
proportionally and oppositely (as one side increased in current, the
other would decrease)... but for astigmatism I think they'd be
adjusted independently or equally, but in the same direction (as one
side increases current, the other either stays the same, or also
increases). So in deflection the beam is shifted, but for astigmatism
the beam is squashed or broadened.