New to this, where do I start.

Christopher Barrett

Aug 6, 2015, 10:48:31 AM8/6/15
to DIYbio
Hi, I am new to biohacking, but not new to biology.
I don't have a university degree, but I am an ex medical technician.
So I do have a reasonable starting point.

Why am I here? This last week I had one of my wife's horse start displaying signs of a possible poisoning or some other neurological issue.
The vet was called a neurological survey was performed, a diagnosis of a possible compressed spinal cord in the cervical vertebrae.
My vet trusts me and gave me the medication I needed to begin a treatment plan.

However two days later, another horse in the same field started to display the same signs.
It was poisoning, not spinal cord compression.

For three days I walked around the field looking for a possible source of the poison.
Anyway, cutting the long story short the poison is a bracken fern that grows on our land.
The fern contains a thiaminase, which many on here will know acts against thiamine.

The horses are now being treated with thiamine.

But the damage to the horses could possibly already done.

My point in the long first post is my drive to get started in biohacking.
If I had the ability to test for liver & kidney enzymes I could have narrowed down the search, preventing a misdiagnosis.

But I am also curious to why others get started.

My drive is I never want to get caught out again, we live by choice in out of the way places, shying away from "civilisation"

My other point with the post is given what I want to be able to do where do I start?

Thanks

Chris