project with Agrobacterium

Mariana Schetini

Jan 25, 2016, 12:14:56 PM1/25/16
to DIYbio
Hi people!
I'm currently doing a master project in University of Arts Bremen which is related to DIY devices for biohacking related to the Agrobacterium.

My project approaches the speculative design and possibilities of using the bacteria to make microstructures. Of course this is not being done nowadays but I'd like to explore possible tools to make it plausible (maybe possible?).

I have a blog where I explain it a little bit better:

As I'm just starting my researches, any contribution would be so far constructive, mainly with technical stuff. Is there somebody here working with this bacteria?

Thanks a lot!

Cathal Garvey

Jan 25, 2016, 12:16:34 PM1/25/16
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Sounds exciting! :)

As these bacteria already create structures, of a sort, this is a pretty
creative and reasonable avenue to explore. Looking forward to seeing the
results.
> --
> Groups "DIYbio" group.
> an email to diybio+un...@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/b79c1100-e1eb-477e-bfa3-7e7d9fc86608%40googlegroups.com.

Message has been deleted

DIYbio Belgium

Jan 26, 2016, 5:20:05 AM1/26/16
to DIYbio
Hi!
It's a very exciting project!
What do you mean exactly by "bacteria to make microstructures"?
We plan to start a projet this year about the flagellar structure in alpha proteobacteria (Agrobacterium/Sinorhizobium).
The flagellum is a tiny complex nano machine produce by bacteria (mdpi.com/2218-273x/4/1/217pdf
)
The project will be open to everyone in the world and if possible we plan to publish a scientific paper with all people involved in the project (soon on www.diybio.be).
Don't hesitate to contact us if we can help ;-)

Jonathan

Mariana Schetini

Jan 26, 2016, 8:13:39 AM1/26/16
to DIYbio

Hey Jonathan and Cathal,
Thanks for replying me!
I was imagining microstructures (not defined yet) in stead of just random tumors. Of course this would be a big challenge and maybe not feasible with all we have today.

But I started from the study of l-systems and how much of this information can we see. And how much could we modify it with the Agrobacterium? I'd like to talk with some scientist about possibilities because I'm just a designer hehe!

Which tools would be necessary? Because I could test it with all kinds of vegetable cells and each one is able to give different response.

Alex D

Jan 27, 2016, 9:08:55 PM1/27/16
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

dont ask me how it works cause I dont know the details)) but there is a way ( genetic) by upstream sequence to manipulate certain proteins to be expressed in different areas such as north south east west as in cell polarity. All i know is it is possible to control viral secretion pathway to aim it to specific side of the cell. Also there is a way  control formation of tubulin in yeast to induce growth towards the target. I have seen these two examples as other peoples grad projects so I am not sure exactly about secretion sequences but i am sure papers will shed some light on this.

So, perhaps if you target secretion of auxins and cytokines in one direction then growth will be controlled in single direction. It might be a problem to control distribution of Auxin in custom direction but cytokines probably easier.