Has anyone used AmScope 40X-2000X?

AKS

Mar 12, 2012, 12:00:24 AM3/12/12
to diybio
Has anyone used AmScope 40X-2000X?

Simon Quellen Field

Mar 12, 2012, 1:20:36 PM3/12/12
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I'm presuming you refer to the model with the mechanical stage:

I have not used that model, but I have some thoughts.

For an extra $75, you might want to consider this one instead:

It has the low mounted coaxial focus knobs that will make it more comfortable
to use, but more importantly, it can be upgraded as your funding improves to
include dark field condensers and phase contrast, and a temperature controlled
stage warmer (for incubating cultures as you examine them).

You can upgrade either scope with a better set of objectives as you get more
money, but the less expensive scope will not accept a better substage condenser.
The substage condenser in the more expensive scope is better, with rack and
pinion instead of spiral focusing.

The more expensive scope has a larger stage, which will be useful if you are
examining cultures in a Petri dish.

The more expensive scope weighs twice as much, which can be good (stability)
or bad (portability).

Personally, I prefer backwards nosepieces for the objectives, as it makes it much
easier to see what you are doing (the unused objectives are out of the way in back).
But that gets you into the $350 range: " http://store.amscope.com/b520b.html "

-----
Get a free science project every week! "http://scitoys.com/newsletter.html"

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 9:00 PM, AKS <aung...@gmail.com> wrote:
Has anyone used AmScope 40X-2000X?

Kathy Brasch

Jul 4, 2014, 6:46:29 AM7/4/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com, aung...@gmail.com

AKS

Jul 4, 2014, 10:53:38 AM7/4/14
to Kathy Brasch, diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kathy

Thanks for the reply. I bought an AmScope 40X-2000X
back in 2012. However, appreciated for the info. Cheers!

Sincerely

Aung

Tom Hodder

Jul 6, 2014, 12:00:47 AM7/6/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, 12 March 2012 17:20:36 UTC, Simon Field wrote:
I'm presuming you refer to the model with the mechanical stage:

It has the low mounted coaxial focus knobs that will make it more comfortable
to use

Given that this thread has been re-kindled... If someone was planning to get one of these;

then this is a very similar model, but has the much nicer coaxial focusing knobs;

Nathan McCorkle

Jul 7, 2014, 8:21:49 PM7/7/14
to diybio
Hmm, interesting point, I was actually looking for a scope WITHOUT
coaxial knobs, seems like it would be easier to retrofit with motors
for automation.

Destiny Z

Jul 8, 2014, 11:25:30 AM7/8/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com, aung...@gmail.com
I bought a set of four amscope microscopes for work, three monocular travel microscopes and one nicer one. I have used the smaller scopes extensively in our workshops and I have been very pleased. They work well, and were a great price.

I haven't gotten around to using my nicer scope yet, but based on the reviews that I read, amscope seems to be great if you get a great microscope. Unfortunately, not all the ones they ship are full working, and their customer service can be literally impossible to navigate, so some people get stuck with a dud. I have no idea what the chances are of getting a dud. I have been very happy with my purchases so far, and I would buy from them again.