Making anaerobic media

ErazzyD

Nov 7, 2017, 7:59:11 PM11/7/17
to DIYbio
Hello, I am trying to cultivate anaerobic bacteria in a DIY lab setting. Have any of you made anaerobic media? If so, what method of removing oxygen did you use?

Skyler Gordon

Nov 7, 2017, 8:07:58 PM11/7/17
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Are your bacteria strictly anaerobic?

-SG

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/e9e21fe9-eb6e-4932-9215-4a688052ab12%40googlegroups.com.

wolass

Nov 8, 2017, 1:24:38 AM11/8/17
to DIYbio
Use a Gaspack BD to get rid of air, and seal the bag in a thick foil that is not permeable for oxygen. You do not need a different medium just to get the air out of where the culture is. Alternatively you could use a glass bottle with a good seal and make a fluid culture, next remove the air inside the bottle by putting CO2 inside and quickly seal the bottle.

ErazzyD

Nov 8, 2017, 9:15:42 PM11/8/17
to DIYbio
They aren't strict anaerobes, no. Not like methanogens or anything. I think I can get away with a low oxygen, rather than fully anoxic, media. I am trying to batch culture it though, so I'm looking for something scalable. Plates and test tube liquid culture I have work arounds for, but I'm thinking of something that is feasible for 1L and up. There are lots of info online for this sort of thing presuming you have a full anoxic cabinet etc, but that's both out of reach in a DIY setting and overkill for what I'm working with.

Thanks

Skyler Gordon

Nov 9, 2017, 1:19:53 AM11/9/17
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I’m not sure what your end goal is here, but what ever bacteria you’re using I would suggest thinking less about oxygen / non-oxygen environments and more about what electron acceptor you’re planning on using.

-SG

Abizar Lakdawalla

Nov 9, 2017, 3:01:39 PM11/9/17
to diy...@googlegroups.com
In the "good" old days they used a burning candle inside a sealed container to lower O2 levels for culturing O2 sensitive bugs ... The candle would go off when O2 level dropped.

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups DIYbio group. To post to this group, send email to diy...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=en

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.