Risk assessment for a simple E. coli transformation workshop

Ilya Vainberg Slutzkin

Jan 6, 2017, 1:16:57 AM1/6/17
to DIYbio
Hello everyone,
My name is ilya, I am one of the founders of BioHubIL, a DIYbio and biotechnology community in Israel. We are launching our first local course on genetic engineering for beginners and plan to perform a simple E. coli transformation workshop. Local regulations on whether we can do this experiment in a classroom or need a real lab are absent. I talked to a couple of safety experts and each one has a different opinion. Since we don't have access to a lab yet, we will probably count on the expert saying that we can do this in a classroom as long as we perform appropriate risk assessment and take some basic safety measures.
I don't have experience in making risk assessments and would very much appreciate an example of such a document. Most useful would be a risk assessment for a similar workshop but I will take what I can get.
Thanks in advance,
Ilya.

ukitel

Jan 10, 2017, 10:16:00 AM1/10/17
to DIYbio
I'm also very interested in the topic.
However how the risk assessment looks like will very much depend on the national regulations.