Legalities of GMO producing biolabs in the EU?

Arkos Vahamaki

Feb 17, 2018, 3:00:45 PM2/17/18
to DIYbio
Is there a licensing process required in the EU for creating a biolab where microorganisms are genetically modified and fermented and what is this process like? I'm interested in starting such a laboratory.

ukitel

Feb 19, 2018, 3:04:17 AM2/19/18
to DIYbio
Regulations are changing from country to country... A lot.
Where would you like to do this exactly?

Arkos Vahamaki

Feb 19, 2018, 8:25:55 AM2/19/18
to DIYbio
Well I'm located in Finland but from what I understand I should have some leeway in doing this elsewhere in the EU as well as an EU citizen? A lot of Finnish companies are located in Estonia for example.

Alexey Zaytsev

Feb 20, 2018, 6:22:47 AM2/20/18
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Is there a good summary on country-specific regulations in this area?

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups DIYbio group. To post to this group, send email to diy...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=en
Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/da8049f4-905d-4e10-a1ce-b09c47a3683d%40googlegroups.com.

Kermit Henson

Feb 20, 2018, 5:37:32 PM2/20/18
to DIYbio
this may be related to e-citizenship: you can have a company in estonia , with same rights and taxes than other estonians and keep your original passport. for big companies (aka big pharma and related), law related to biosecurity is quite clear.

problems with legislation regards to home labs, which is something relative new

regulation with a lab focused in produce GMO, as long as i know, is a biosecurity issue. if you can guarantee the biosecurity your country requires to work with GMO, you should have any problem.

Alexey Zaytsev

Feb 21, 2018, 1:04:46 AM2/21/18
to diy...@googlegroups.com
You probably mean "e-residence", and that's not how it works.

Like in many other countries, both Estonians and foreigners can start a company in Estonia.

Estonians have their computer-connected ID cards, so they can do all government interactions online. For foreigners, they offer a similar ID card (called e-residence, just to confuse you) that you connect to your computer and can interact with the government. As a foreigner. You can log into the system, you can digitally sign legal documents, you can open a company, file _company_ taxes, etc.

This ID card is only used to identify you as a person. It does not grant you citizenship. It does not grant you residency. It has nothing to do with your tax residency as a person. If you had to apply for a visa to visit Estonia, you still have to.

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.

Kermit Henson

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.

Arkos Vahamaki

Feb 22, 2018, 10:09:53 AM2/22/18
to DIYbio
Well I'm asking around a bit on the various authorities here first what the biosafety etc requirements would be. If it's impractical then I'll look into Estonia.