Blue orchids

Jo Donoghue

May 17, 2017, 7:01:24 PM5/17/17
to DIYbio
So I want to dabble in plant genetics and have already gotten orchids from tissue cultures. I now want to turn them blue. I was going to take a pink Phalaenopsis equestris and try to alter it's genes to make more anthocyanin but it won't turn blue without a more basic pH. Is this correct and what can be altered genetically to change the pH and not kill the plant?

Cathal Garvey

May 17, 2017, 7:06:24 PM5/17/17
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Not all anthocyanins are Ph dependent, I think. After all, there are plenty of blue acidic fruits? Though I don't know if the pathways for these have been well-studied.

On 17 May 2017 22:48:30 GMT+01:00, Jo Donoghue <jomdo...@gmail.com> wrote:
So I want to dabble in plant genetics and have already gotten orchids from tissue cultures. I now want to turn them blue. I was going to take a pink Phalaenopsis equestris and try to alter it's genes to make more anthocyanin but it won't turn blue without a more basic pH. Is this correct and what can be altered genetically to change the pH and not kill the plant?

Sebastian S Cocioba

May 17, 2017, 7:41:41 PM5/17/17
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Delphinidin is stable across a wider pH range. Check out the butterfly pea and the work of Florigene.

Sebastian S. Cocioba
CEO & Founder
New York Botanics, LLC

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/B9A4C8F2-6046-4340-9396-50D306901E00%40cathalgarvey.me.

Jo Donoghue

May 19, 2017, 9:55:24 AM5/19/17
to DIYbio
Thank you guys for the help. It's definitely the research I was looking for.