Lab tool interfaces

Nathan McCorkle

Feb 23, 2015, 12:54:57 PM2/23/15
to diybio
$59 (plus $6 shipping) this quad-core tablet with 1280x800 IPS screen
and full-size USB 2.0 port, along with micro USB for charging (both
work simultaneously) along with an HDMI port too (micro I think)

http://www.microcenter.com/product/439773/TW70CA17_Tablet_-_Black

--
-Nathan

Brian Degger

Feb 23, 2015, 1:09:47 PM2/23/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com

Is a Windows 8.1 tablet....sometimes there are driver issues with usb devices.
Usb Webcam support would be good if it works.

Alex

Feb 23, 2015, 1:54:34 PM2/23/15
to Diy Bio

This seems like a great deal. Am I missing something? Lol

Alex

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/CA%2B82U9KAiRq0K8hK7JwcS1jRCjdgZTVrJzoaFB2mCS1roryQaA%40mail.gmail.com.

Nathan McCorkle

Feb 23, 2015, 1:55:02 PM2/23/15
to diybio
On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 10:09 AM, Brian Degger <brian....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is a Windows 8.1 tablet....sometimes there are driver issues with usb
> devices.

Hmm, didn't know that. I've got Windows 8.1 on my laptop and haven't
had any driver issues with webcams or USB-to-serial adapters... it
might help that this tablet has an Intel processor, so I think most
drivers/software should work as they would on a laptop (as opposed to
the ARM-based processors that have a special version of Windows,
labelled 'RT')

Nathan McCorkle

Feb 23, 2015, 2:00:42 PM2/23/15
to diybio
On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 10:54 AM, Alex <spid...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This seems like a great deal. Am I missing something? Lol

All I can think is economies-of-scale are just getting to this point.
I do wonder if Microsoft is subsidizing or something, in effort to get
people to be 'OK' with non-android tablets or something like that. A
new IPS screen for my cell-phone is around $50 on ebay... so this
screen has a bit fewer pixels, and they're larger (easier) to make.
The processor itself is more than a year old, and listed at $17.00...
so throw in RAM, SSD, motherboard, and plastic case (and don't forget
the connectors)... and it seems like they're maybe over-stock
surplus... or they're a gimmick to get Intel and Microsoft as a tablet
into the general consumer mind-frame. Or we're just really getting
good at manufacturing.

Makes custom-microfabbed microfluidics a hard-sell IMO... at least for
simple stuff (in terms of engineering micro/nano components per $).

d wright

Feb 23, 2015, 2:13:01 PM2/23/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I heard Leo Laporte, the tech guy, review it yesterday on his show and he loved it. You get office 365 for a year for free too.

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.

Cathal Garvey

Feb 23, 2015, 6:26:54 PM2/23/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Far more excited about the possibilities for Black Swift:
http://black-swift.com/

~$25, wifi-enabled SOC with 1 micro-USB-host and powered by another
micro-USB in, full GPIO. Wifi can (and by default does) act in AP mode.
Runs OpenWRT.

Basically it's perfect out of the box for presenting a web interface to
either an arbitrary IO (GPIO) or USB-enabled device.

Best of all? It's not Windows or Mac! ;)
/trolololo
Scientific Director, IndieBio Irish Programme
Got a biology-inspired business idea that $50,000 -
& 3 months in a well equipped lab could accelerate?
Apply for the Summer programme in Ireland:
http://indie.bio/apply-to-ireland
Twitter: @onetruecathal
Phone: +353876363185
miniLock: JjmYYngs7akLZUjkvFkuYdsZ3PyPHSZRBKNm6qTYKZfAM
peerio.com: cathalgarvey

John Griessen

Feb 23, 2015, 7:06:38 PM2/23/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On 02/23/2015 01:00 PM, Nathan McCorkle wrote:
> Or we're just really getting
> good at manufacturing.

MS always does things at a scale so large it gets big price cuts and
lots of fine tuning of costs to fab are done.

On 02/23/2015 01:12 PM, d wright wrote:> You get office 365 for a year for free too.

And see -- that's no subsidy, it's a future income for M$.

Far more excited about the possibilities for Black Swift: http://black-swift.com/
+1 (but then I was already in on that, so how can I +1? :>}