fixing a CO2 incubator

Jeswin

Apr 27, 2013, 12:07:30 PM4/27/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
How hard is it to fix a CO2 incubator? We got one (not sure of exact
model but looks like from the 90s). The temperature sensor is wrong; it
says 37C but our digital thermometer reads 35C. Also, the boss said the
CO2 sensor is not working. It's not hooked up to CO2 but he said the
reading is too high, I think.

Avery louie

Apr 27, 2013, 1:59:25 PM4/27/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com

You should crack it open and look at the sensor part #s.  If they are analog, it may be just a matter if trimming in a potentiometer.  If its some kinda wizard digital ic, you might ve able to find a new one.

--A

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups DIYbio group. To post to this group, send email to diy...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=en
Learn more at www.diybio.org
--- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio?hl=en.

Nathan McCorkle

Apr 27, 2013, 5:44:41 PM4/27/13
to diybio

Get your multimeter out and check the temp sensor output. Heat and cool it with a hair drier, make sure the multimeter responds in continuous fashion (linear or non-linear)... if it doesn't then it's either a digital sensor or it's busted. If it's a nice line/curve then you might just have a bad resistor somewhere that needs replacing.

The CO2 sensor is likely an NDIR, which sell for $65 here, the wiring and signals might be different though:

http://www.co2meter.com/collections/co2-sensors/products/k-30-co2-sensor-module

The easiest thing to do would be find a working model, do a temp and CO2 range test on the sensors while logging the signals. Then you could buy new sensors and use a microcontroller to translate to the expected output signals.

On Apr 27, 2013 9:07 AM, "Jeswin" <phill...@gmail.com> wrote:
How hard is it to fix a CO2 incubator? We got one (not sure of exact model but looks like from the 90s). The temperature sensor is wrong; it says 37C but our digital thermometer reads 35C. Also, the boss said the CO2 sensor is not working. It's not hooked up to CO2 but he said the reading is too high, I think.

Jeswin

Apr 27, 2013, 8:49:28 PM4/27/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On 4/27/2013 5:44 PM, Nathan McCorkle wrote:

> Get your multimeter out and check the temp sensor output. Heat and
> cool it with a hair drier, make sure the multimeter responds
> in continuous fashion (linear or non-linear)... if it doesn't then
> it's either a digital sensor or it's busted. If it's a nice line/curve
> then you might just have a bad resistor somewhere that needs replacing.

Hmm, okay. I'll see if I can get the panel off but I'm not too sure
where these sensors are supposed to be.

Manny Canet

Apr 14, 2014, 3:44:58 PM4/14/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Phillyj, still having an issue with the CO2 incubator?

Jeswin

Apr 15, 2014, 9:12:43 AM4/15/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I think I am going to say it's broken and not worth fixing. It's not a priority now

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---