Stanford bioengineers develop a 20-cent, hand-powered centrifuge

77 vistas
Ir al primer mensaje no leído

technologiclee

no leída,
11 ene 2017, 6:29:10 a.m.11/1/17
para DIYbio
This is probably as simple as a centrifuge can get. Can this design be improved? Can features be added?

https://youtu.be/pPePaKnYh2I

"Inspired by a whirligig toy, Stanford bioengineers have developed an ultra-low-cost, human-powered blood centrifuge. With rotational speeds of up to 125,000 revolutions per minute, the device separates blood plasma from red cells in 1.5 minutes, no electricity required. A centrifuge is critical for detecting diseases such as malaria, African sleeping sickness, HIV and tuberculosis. This low-cost version will enable precise diagnosis and treatment in the poor, off-the-grid regions where these diseases are most prevalent. For more info: http://stanford.io/2j2MDjM
"

Sebastian S Cocioba

no leída,
11 ene 2017, 9:35:12 a.m.11/1/17
para diy...@googlegroups.com
Inspired lolololol more like took the exact design. I love how this makes news and everyone is like "wow so creative!". The intermittent deceleration can shake up samples so I'm not sure how larger tubes will fare. Maybe a rotor with a fly wheel and a foot pedal might be more reasonable. If anyone has ever used the device, its a decent workout if the rotor is of reasonable size. Last thing I'd want is that thing spinning larger tubes in my face at 10krpm :P

Good progress, I hope they pay it forward. Its a slippery slope to cultural appropriation and in these times I'm sure someone already started to fan the hate flames. All in all it seems like a fun way to spin simple hematocrit vials or pcr tubes real quick.

Sebastian S. Cocioba
CEO & Founder
New York Botanics, LLC

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/a414296e-ce75-4775-8b2b-80514f090a03%40googlegroups.com.

Dennis Oleksyuk

no leída,
11 ene 2017, 2:22:49 p.m.11/1/17
para diy...@googlegroups.com
The next thing they should do are tubes from clay, pipettes from bamboo straws and polymerase chain reaction using camp fire. Then someone could come up with a protocol for gene modification using only stuff you can find in the forest and claim that gene modification is organic. OpenPCR can then start selling organic free-range artisan PCR kits. :)

Sebastian S Cocioba

no leída,
11 ene 2017, 5:42:00 p.m.11/1/17
para diy...@googlegroups.com
Gene editing IS organic. Look up agrobacterium tumefaciens and what it does to plants. Crown Gall disease. One of a handful of natural genetic engineers :P

Sebastian S. Cocioba
CEO & Founder
New York Botanics, LLC

John Griessen

no leída,
13 ene 2017, 5:12:21 p.m.13/1/17
para diy...@googlegroups.com
On 01/11/2017 05:29 AM, technologiclee wrote:
> This is probably as simple as a centrifuge can get. Can this design be improved?

Oh yes... Did you notice how they bragged about the 125k RPMs, but used no
eye protection while spinnnninnnng it loaded with thin capillary tubes?
Responder a todos
Responder al autor
Reenviar
0 mensajes nuevos