Total noob

Gabriel Jaramillo

Feb 8, 2016, 9:15:36 PM2/8/16
to DIYbio
Yo so I'm like literally brand new to this biohacking thing. So excuse me if I'm wrong about anything. I'm really interested about learning more. Are there any links someone can give me to help me really get started ??

Sebastian S Cocioba

Feb 8, 2016, 9:35:37 PM2/8/16
to diy...@googlegroups.com
WELCOME TO DIY BIO!!!!! ::confetti::

Where are you located? This helps in homing in on your local hackerspace.

Anything you want to try to do? Sometimes people don't know whats possible or accessible but thats okay!

What brings you to this neck of the woods? Some people join DIY Bio from all sorts of different fields, age groups, interests, agendas, and locations. Anything in particular that convinced you to join the group?

Whats your background? Experience is not required and a clean slate is just as good as any.

Openwetware.org -good for protocols
DNALC.org - all your DNA info needs
Carolina.com - lots of fun kits
The-odin.com - diy friendly reagent company

Post all your questions, post often, don't mind the occasional trolls, and have fun!

PS I work with plants so if you want advice on practicing the dark green arts, lemme know!

Sebastian S. Cocioba
CEO & Founder
New York Botanics, LLC

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/1d70fdaf-04e4-4231-8c4d-2bcb9107cc35%40googlegroups.com.

Nathan McCorkle

Feb 8, 2016, 11:07:41 PM2/8/16
to diybio

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/1d70fdaf-04e4-4231-8c4d-2bcb9107cc35%40googlegroups.com.

-Nathan

Jérôme Lutz

Feb 9, 2016, 7:43:26 AM2/9/16
to DIYbio
Hi Garbiel,

awesome and welcome! I've been at the same point as you are today a year ago - so much interesting stuff to discover but no idea where to start. So we started the wiki www.synbio.infowww.synbio.info, that hopefully get's you up on speed with all the basics of genetics and a (still) pretty basic introduction on doing actual biological engineering.  However, I hope it gives you a good overview.

If you don't have any biological background either, I can recommend you our Interprtr: its a Chrome Extension that's teaches you all those fancy words in molecular biology.

Would love to hear from your journey into SynBio, Sebastian already asked all the interesting questions so talk to you soon,

Jérôme

Cathal Garvey

Feb 9, 2016, 9:29:22 AM2/9/16
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hey Jerome!

That's a really great idea, is it Free/Libre?
> --
> Groups "DIYbio" group.
> an email to diybio+un...@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/bf9fb967-a226-475f-829c-fb9da8e9936f%40googlegroups.com.

Jérôme Lutz

Feb 9, 2016, 9:48:34 AM2/9/16
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cathal,

Sure - its an open wiki were everyone can hit the edit or add button! We don't believe in this blog post business with sponsored posts and ads. We think, only a wiki will be able to keep up to date at the speed at which our industry is currently evolving.

We are currently setting this up as a proper non-profit and we even got some people interested in donating money for our cause. We are around 10 active authors adding all we know about SynBio - wanna join? : )

Best,

Jérôme

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups DIYbio group. To post to this group, send email to diy...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=en

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.

Cathal (Phone)

Feb 9, 2016, 10:14:09 AM2/9/16
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I know the wiki is free to use ("open" is ambiguous in this case..), I meant the chrome plugin?