Article in Guardian

djwr...@gmail.com

Nov 18, 2015, 10:56:20 PM11/18/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com

Brian Degger

Nov 19, 2015, 3:03:42 AM11/19/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com

Nice American - centric view of biohacking. Pity they
ignored the English and European backyard.

On 19 Nov 2015 03:56, <djwr...@gmail.com> wrote:

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/nov/18/biohackers-strange-world-diy-biology

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/A40592B5-C349-48D8-8013-4140E8E3AC9C%40gmail.com.

Nathan McCorkle

Nov 20, 2015, 2:48:24 PM11/20/15
to diybio
On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 12:03 AM, Brian Degger <brian....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nice American - centric view of biohacking. Pity they
> ignored the English and European backyard.

I found it funny to read your comment before looking at the article,
because I saw French text in the first sentence.

Brian Degger

Nov 22, 2015, 4:58:36 AM11/22/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com

And this guy (a biochemist) https://profile.theguardian.com/user/id/4387842 thinks we are being irresponsible 'playing with life'

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.

Dakota Hamill

Nov 22, 2015, 12:39:36 PM11/22/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com

That's how we got here in the first place.  Prometheusssssss

Maria Chavez

Nov 22, 2015, 1:39:44 PM11/22/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I gave a pretty long reply to his post a few days ago, as its the standard fear mongering we hear about DIY Bio.

One article that helps substantialy backup the idea of DIY doing no harm: http://news.sciencemag.org/biology/2013/11/do-it-yourself-biologists-doing-no-harm-survey-finds

Reactionary off the cuff fear that someone might do something wrong would stop any science or progress from ever happening.  Its a bit depressing that his comment is the highest ranked one to the Guardian piece.

Sebastian S Cocioba

Nov 22, 2015, 2:08:56 PM11/22/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
     Ive seen some bad practices in academic labs and in most cases if you are just doing cloning and research in disarmed e-coli, all the equipment and safety requirements are easily acquired. As long as there is no release, what is the objective difference between a student following protocol and a hobbyist following protocol? To say that there is no results from the DIY Bio community is just being an asshole to be blunt. Why does it even matter if there is or isn't use from our work to the public at large? Its a hobby...a HOBBY. Some will choose to attempt actual research and try to contribute to the scientific conversation, others just pursue it for the experience much like electronics enthusiasts make little gadgets for fun and curiosity. Whats wrong with that? Have we forgotten all the research being conducted for knowledge's sake and not directed toward a specific application or product?

    I see no difference between a responsible hobbyist and a grad student in terms of safety practices and the ability to abide by state and federal law in terms of proper disposal of recombinant DNA and transgenic organisms. It pains me every time I have to autoclave my plants post experiment but I do it like every other researcher and I keep my seeds in a lockbox...far away from soil and windows...which is overkill. All in all anyone can do science and anyone can practice it safely given the proper PPE and online-available training material. Common sense also applies here just as much. What's this biochemist guy's point?

Sebastian S. Cocioba
CEO & Founder
New York Botanics, LLC

Cathal (Phone)

Nov 22, 2015, 4:52:36 PM11/22/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Indeed, frustrating. And, define "results" from the DIY community, please? I spent the entire summer in a lab with a bunch of biotech founders, a third of whom would count themselves among "DIYbio", doing some amazing stuff. If that's not a "result" worth celebrating.. I don't know.

But, mind; we are discussing the *comments section* on *the guardian*. It's hardly fox news or the Daily Mail, but it's never going to be pretty!