Is it possible to grow stem cells in a home laboratory?

SBS

Apr 16, 2019, 4:39:29 PM4/16/19
to DIYbio
I would like to know your opinion about it, the cultivation of plants is half simple but what about the cultivation of animal tissue?

Christopher Monaco

Apr 17, 2019, 5:57:57 AM4/17/19
to DIYbio
Arguably, culturing mammalian cells is possible anywhere so long as you have the necessary equipment...

jlund256

Apr 18, 2019, 1:58:26 PM4/18/19
to DIYbio
Typically, culturing animal cells requires a water jacketed incubator with CO2 supply, an HEPA filtered laminar flow hood, and an autoclave for media prep and waste disposal, and a microscope. The pipets and culture dishes used need to be sterile, so either disposable or glass and autoclaved.  Typically, the culture media is expensive.  Insect cells are somewhat easier to work with, but most mammalian cells require antibiotics and animal serum.

Cell culture typically is done in a dedicated space to keep mold and bacterial spores down, and the consumables are expensive.  Cell cultures are typically kept frozen in liquid nitrogen.  Active cultures need attention every day or two, and are moved to new plates every few days.

Cheers,

Jim Lund

SBS

Apr 19, 2019, 12:21:06 AM4/19/19
to DIYbio
I currently have 3 of those four things, I'm thinking of using sensors and raspi to try to build the incubator
my biggest problem is the means, in the cultivation of plants the means I buy them and I do but in animal I have only come to see that they sell it prepared and quite expensive (I am too green in the subject)

Cathal Garvey

Apr 21, 2019, 6:35:58 AM4/21/19
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Worth adding here that cell cultures can propagate viruses capable of affecting the operator, so do your research. I recall it was advised to get Hep vaccinations when working with kidney-derived lines, for example.

Stéphane MICHOUD

Apr 21, 2019, 7:40:47 AM4/21/19
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Is it possible to grow cas 9 enzyme ?

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/085c1c14-c9cc-43a8-80a2-c3ea9bab61e4%40googlegroups.com.

SBS

Apr 21, 2019, 3:22:24 PM4/21/19
to DIYbio
I am interested in marine animals especially, I do not think that vaccinating is a problem
Is there a link where I can start?

Cabalen sciences

Jul 4, 2019, 10:17:19 AM7/4/19
to DIYbio
The lab has to meet BSL1 Standards.

louie anderson

Jul 4, 2019, 8:38:53 PM7/4/19
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Not really I have a friend who put together an independent mammalian cell culture lab and many more who have tried and failed the amount of resources it requires is almost unfeasible for someone without a massive amount of dedication, and disposable income.

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.