Obtaining J. lividum or another non-pathogenic violacein producer

Alan WiIliams

May 6, 2015, 5:41:10 PM5/6/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I have been looking at violacein as an interesting product of several species.  However, most (as far as I can tell) of these species are pathogenic.  I saw that J. Lividum is not, but I could only find it sourced from ATCC for $300.  Is there anywhere I can get it for cheaper?  Or maybe some other species at a cheaper price?
Thanks,
Alan

Dakota Hamill

May 6, 2015, 6:20:18 PM5/6/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
http://www.picultures.com/ is often cheaper than the ATCC, but the ATCC is publication worthy strain collection

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/357ce99f-4019-4a48-8305-0163b6b21019%40googlegroups.com.

Dakota Hamill

May 6, 2015, 6:25:09 PM5/6/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Do you have any uses in mind for it?  It's a well studied pigmented antibiotic

Brian Degger

May 7, 2015, 9:05:10 AM5/7/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Last year, synbiota/genomicon was shipping the violacein pathway (https://synbiota.com/dna-market/8) for transforming into e. coli k12

Brian Degger
twitter: @drbrian

Nathan McCorkle

May 7, 2015, 1:17:46 PM5/7/15
to diybio
On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 6:04 AM, Brian Degger <brian....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Last year, synbiota/genomicon was shipping the violacein pathway
> (https://synbiota.com/dna-market/8) for transforming into e. coli k12

Wasn't that more of a kit to try hacking the pathway into working,
rather than a plasmid with a working pathway?

Brian Degger

May 7, 2015, 1:53:45 PM5/7/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Nathan,
Yes, you are right. It was bits for a pathway, not a plasmid as such.
However, I wasn't sure if Alan wanted to play with the pathway. I have also have also seen that http://parts.igem.org/Part:BBa_K274002?title=Part:BBa_K274002 produces violacein from l-tryptophane in E.coli

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.

Alan Williams

May 7, 2015, 2:44:34 PM5/7/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I saw the Synbiota hack a while back and was interested in setting up a bioreactor.

Alan Williams

May 7, 2015, 2:44:37 PM5/7/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
As far as I understand it, I think that it was more about building a pathway rather than using an existing one.
> --
> -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups DIYbio group. To post to this group, send email to diy...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+un...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=en
> Learn more at www.diybio.org
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/CA%2B82U9KLBo7Bfi%3DYad2HnjhsaCWrVz-QruMjsrpDptBWHiAJ2w%40mail.gmail.com.

Alan Williams

May 7, 2015, 2:44:50 PM5/7/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
So I might play with the pathway later, but for right now I would like a working plasmid.  The biobrick looks fine for my purposes, does anyone know how to get those as an individual?
Thanks,
Alan

Claudio Tiecher

May 8, 2015, 5:48:29 AM5/8/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alan,

Officially to get the biobrick you have to be registered as a iGEM lab. To register the iGEM lab you need to affiliate to an institution/community/company.

Usually iGEM lab are really helpful. Find the closest iGEM lab and ask them to get the biobricks for you.

May I ask what is it your purpose?

Cheers,
Claudio

Alan Williams

May 8, 2015, 9:24:09 AM5/8/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I want to build a bioreactor for producing Violacein,
Alan

Dakota Hamill

May 8, 2015, 11:03:45 AM5/8/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com

Nathan McCorkle

May 8, 2015, 1:50:30 PM5/8/15
to diybio
On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 8:03 AM, Dakota Hamill <dko...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://link.springer.com/article/10.1023%2FA%3A1008809504504

Right, but as someone said, it can be a pathogen... soooo.... synbio
to the rescue!

Claudio Tiecher

May 14, 2015, 8:08:30 AM5/14/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alan,

that is an awesome project. I have thought about producin violacein myself. I have done quite some research about it and have quite some literature. I can share more information here or privately... I also tried to get the strain from an Indonesian university, but it did not work.

What is your experience with biology? As far as I remember there are many different non-pathogenic organisms you can choose.

Cheers,
Claudio

Alan Williams

May 14, 2015, 9:24:38 AM5/14/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I'm a freshman computational science major, but I'm emphasizing on bioinformatics.
Alan