[Open Manufacturing] Fwd: [p2p-research] Fwd: [ox-en] Wired.com: A Willy Wonka Who Wants to Feed the World

Sett 68 ganger
Hopp til første uleste melding

Bryan Bishop

ulest,
1. jan. 2009, 13:11:3301.01.2009
til openmanufacturing, kan...@gmail.com, diy...@googlegroups.com
http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/12/whatisfood.html

Ask America's foremost molecular gastronomist about the Willy Wonka
comparisons, and Homaro Cantu will insist that he's just an average
guy who likes cheeseburgers. But it's not cheeseburgers that have
earned the Chicago chef fame: it's dishes prepared with industrial
lasers, inkjet printers and liquid nitrogen.

Look beneath the technical sophistication, though, and Cantu's kitchen
pyrotechnics are revealed as explorations of possible answers to a
very simple question: What is food? And if the cuisine at Moto, his
"molecular tasting lab," can be described as postmodern, Cantu himself
has little time for gastro-academic posing. He's driven by a
techno-utopian vision of decentralized food in which the world's
ever-growing appetites are met by a radical transformation of
agriculture itself — and it all begins in our kitchens.

"Make enough food for everyone. That's the end game," says Cantu. "And
to get there, we have to start thinking a little crazier about what
food is."

Wired.com talked to Cantu about his tastes and vision.

Wired.com: What have you been working on lately?

Homaro Cantu: We've been trying to incorporate food from the green
world, and started growing microalgae. You can get 10,000 to 30,000
gallons of algae per acre. It can be grown in salt or fresh water, in
a whole variety of temperatures. It increases the food supply rather
than depleting it, and it's a net energy gain.

For $300 we built a photobioreactor that produced 15 gallons of food
per month. The idea was to take algae, process it into sushi and fuel,
and deliver it it in a truck running on algae biofuel. And we're just
a bunch of chefs. If we can figure this out, I don't know why others
can't.

Wired.com: Hearing about algae or jellyfish as dietary staples
depresses me. Those aren't exactly humanity's first choices in food.

Cantu: I can't think of a time in the history of man when food was in
excess. We're dealing with the same old problems we've dealt with for
60,000 years.

Look at corn, at how many products come out of it — food, plastics —
on one crop a year. Algae provides eight crops per year. It's the
responsible thing to do. Algae is the perfect food plant. It doubles
cell mass every twelve hours, depending on the strain. The Japanese
have a long lifespan in part because they eat different forms of
algae.

Of course, we were also doing this to entertain ourselves.

Wired.com: Does that sense of play motivate your work?

Cantu: Sure. The world is full of challenges, but with those come
opportunity, and I'm an opportunist. It's fun to be in it, creating
all these exciting new ways to live, rather than doing the same old
boring thing. That's how mankind has evolved. We're just starting to
see it in the kitchen in the restaurant world, but it's been going on
in the food processing world for 40 years.

Wired.com: When I think of food processing, I think of food being
stripped of its flavor and character — the opposite of dining.

Cantu: I'm not going to pin myself down and say that we don't support
processed foods. Sixty-five percent of food in America is genetically
modified or processed. We're part of that.

There's two ways to look at it. Let's say you have a food printer and
eight cartridges, and grow eight crops on the roof, and that's all you
need to replicate any food product you can imagine, from mom's apple
pie to a cheeseburger with French fries. That would decentralize the
food structure, and you'd know exactly where your food comes from.

At the other extreme, you have what we've been doing: agriculture. The
thing that came after permaculture. The forest goes away, and we plant
neat straight rows. But it's not sustainable over the long haul. In
the end we're going to want to keep the pleasurable eating experience
we have today, and technology is going to step in and decentralize
that.

I support farmers, whether the farmer is a guy next door or a guy that
lives in the breadbasket of America.

Wired.com: But why cook these decentralized foods with printers or lasers?

Cantu: We have sautee pans and burners, too. You can't print a great
pizza unless you know how to make a great pizza. There's a lot to be
said for classic cuisine.

Wired.com: Are there principles that guide the design of your dishes?

Cantu: Make enough food for everyone. That's the end game. And to get
there, we have to start thinking a little crazier about what food is.

Wired.com: What is food?

Cantu: It's what enables us to live — and more than that, it's dense
energy storage. If you look at it from that point of view, you start
shooting two birds with one shot.

How can we get something new into the food supply while serving
another purpose, such as making plastic? We're going to start working
with things that grow easily in varied climates, and the end result
will be printed food that grows on your roof. Decentralizing food is
the wave of the future.

Wired.com: Now that molecular gastronomy has gone relatively
mainstream, do you see yourself as being different from other
practitioners?

Cantu: There's different parts to what I do. There's the restaurant,
and everything I do outside.

In the restaurant, our food looks different. You'll have a Cuban
sandwich that looks like a Cuban cigar with ash on it. We specialize
in the transmogrification of known food products into other forms.
That's the biggest difference between us and the others.

But it isn't always the restaurant. It's me and the pastry chef,
working out of sheer curiosity. If you showed the average tinkerer how
to do this, they'd do it in a heartbeat. That's what I like about this
— and it's the stuff that you'll see in a year or two that sets us
apart.

We're going to show people how to make plastic from potatoes. How to
make styrofoam peanuts from two ingredients and a microwave, and
you'll eat them, too. There will be a polymer oven you can put in your
microwave and 30 seconds later, it's 500 degrees hot. Instead of using
a gas oven or giant electric oven, you'll shrink it down to the size
of your hand and only heat the space you need. If you walk into a
kitchen and it's hot, there's wasted energy there. Our kitchen isn't
hot.

Wired.com: Are you aware of what's going on, at the molecular level,
with your dishes?

Cantu: Yes and no. We think of things in simple terms: how can we end
world hunger? And then you investigate that.

Recently I started thinking about how people can eat the stuff they
don't eat now, that already grows around them. If you can turn that
into food and make it taste good, you've got an answer. I can't tell
you more about this, but let's just say I've had my neighbors eating
twigs and branches by giving them a supplemental product that makes it
taste good.

You have to have some understanding of chemistry, of how taste
receptors work, of how people perceive food. But it starts with that
initial crazy question: What is food?

_________________________________
Web-Site: http://www.oekonux.org/
Contact: pro...@oekonux.de

--
The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer alternatives.

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview
at http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html
BEST VIDEO ON P2P:
http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=4549818267592301968&hl=en-AU

The work of the P2P Foundation is supported by SHIFTN, http://www.shiftn.com/

A No Body

ulest,
9. okt. 2017, 09:49:2009.10.2017
til DIYbio
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-homaro-cantu-moto-20150415-story.html

I was looking for bioreactor schematics, found this story and followed it to a bitter end.

R.I.P. Homaro Cantu

Ravasz

ulest,
10. okt. 2017, 11:02:4410.10.2017
til DIYbio
Hi,

My project is about building a bioreactor. Feel free to get in touch if interested.

Cheers,
Mate

A No Body

ulest,
11. okt. 2017, 02:18:2011.10.2017
til DIYbio
I never had any experience with it but I would like to have a go at it.

The bioreactor you are working on; is it a photobioreactor?
Algae bioreactor?
Other?

Ravasz

ulest,
12. okt. 2017, 13:21:3612.10.2017
til DIYbio

Yes, my project is a photobioreactor for algae.

This is the previous one I worked on:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Biomonstaaar/

Now I am designing a new one from the ground up and giving it new functions and more polish

A No Body

ulest,
15. okt. 2017, 04:26:2715.10.2017
til DIYbio
Do you know of different plastic and glass tolerance ranges?
I need a transparent container that will tolerate pH 0 - 4. temperatures of up to 60 degrees C and senility range I haven't yet determined.

Ravasz

ulest,
16. okt. 2017, 11:57:4416.10.2017
til DIYbio
Nope, unfortunately I have no knowledge of such things whatsoever, I don't even know what a senility range is. (mind you for growing algae both that temperature and pH range are far from where my system operates. Mine is at around pH10-11 and 37C at most but of course your mileage may wary)
Svar alle
Svar til forfatter
Videresend
0 nye meldinger