Fwd: [diybio-eu] WG: Biohacking in Asia => http://hillhacks.in/

Bryan Bishop

Apr 24, 2014, 1:20:40 PM4/24/14
to diybio, Bryan Bishop, kit...@hackteria.org, diyb...@diybio.eu
From: Rüdiger Trojok <tro...@openbioprojects.net>
Date: Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 12:11 PM
Subject: [diybio-eu] WG: Biohacking in Asia => http://hillhacks.in/
To: kit...@hackteria.org, diyb...@diybio.eu

Forwarded

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Bernadette Langle [mailto:c...@besva.de]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 24. April 2014 18:29
An: rajina shrestha; li...@berlin.ccc.de; tro...@openbioprojects.net;
Priya...@gmail.com; Sakar Pudasaini
Betreff: Biohacking in Asia => http://hillhacks.in/

Hey all,

I am writing you to connect to each other. Rajina, a Nepali girl/lady living
in Bangalore is looking for some contacts. She is into biohacking by believe
and passion, but she doesn't have any people giving her company so far :(

At the moment she is thinking of a summer intern ship or an own project
during summer. Maybe you guys know something that could be done?

Also I guess you can help her with links to ongoing projects and also to
established communities?

Rajina, you might want to write some more about the things you already might
have in mind and/or what you are working on and interested in?

Also I wanted to let all of you know about http://hillhacks.in/

A makerfaire and conference in Dharamshala/India in October, leaded by two
weeks of workshops on various topics: The usual stuff, known from CCC-events
(see http://hillhacks.in/what). Biohacking is atm just included as a wish,
as none of us involved so far is into the topic. We are still in very early
stage (and there are still 6 months to go). I am happy if you forward this
link to friends that might be interested. Also you can follow @hillhacks on
twitter to get to know when there are any updates.

(Just told Rajina about it today - maybe this can already be the place for
the summer project?)

Some of us are very focused on teaching the kids here locally, others are
more focused to bring together the hackerscene of India, Tibet, Nepal,
Kashmir etc.

It would be so wonderful to have biohacking people included, too! It's such
an important topic! I would be very keen on learning more about it!

With deadline 1st of May we are applying for some funds, so if you are quick
we could include some equipment. We already have (private) funding for some
soldering irons and (tada!) a lasercutter!

Who:

Rüdiger and Lisa are two friends from Germany, pretty deep into the whole
topic. They might be able to connect you to others and give you links and
more information.

Sakar is from Nepal, and we are having some email contact since a year; got
connected via a mutual friend. Actually I am planning to visit the
hackerspace Kathmandhu since we got contacted, but didn't work out (my fault
though :D) He is just attending Hackteria in Indonesia, so I assume he is
into that topic as well (though we never spoke about it).

Priya is a biologist and just recently moved to Dharamshala as well, she
might be interested to be in the loop :)

Cheers from Dharamshala,
berni.

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507

Nathan McCorkle

Apr 24, 2014, 2:12:56 PM4/24/14
to diybio, hillh...@lists.informatick.net, kit...@hackteria.org, diyb...@diybio.eu
Hi all, I sent an email to someone in Nepal a few months ago asking if
there was interest in BioHacking. I've been interested in starting a
business in Nepal for about 8 years now, after first visiting Nepal. I
remember then the requirement was something like $25k USD invested
into the Nepali economy to get a business visa... for a lab startup
this would be tough as most equipment would be coming from foreign
lands, rather than into the Nepali economy. So that exact idea might
have to wait until my finances improve a lot more (hopefully someday)!

Anyway it would be a great place to work on DIYbio projects I think...
I could see two labs, one down in Kathmandu valley and one over in
Pokhara or somewhere just outside the Kathmandu smog bowl... just to
allow smog-related experiments to be run in parallel and results
compared. As I remember, stepping off the plane at Kathmandu airport
my eyes started burning (I assumed it was from the smog, but maybe the
airplane air just dried my eyes a bit or something).

My real interest was the seemingly relaxed law there... I didn't think
there would be much in the way of impeding drug discovery as far as
getting licensing and such. I'm not sure if they'd take kindly or not
to human cloning research, but my feeling is there'd be more pushback
from bovine-related research. Though I'm also quite interested in yak
x water buffalo crosses, small and furry and great milk desired!

Anyway, great to hear some activity over that way!

Let me know if you have any contacts in Kolkata... I've got
soon-to-be-family there, and I need a reason to spend a few months
there sometime!
> --
> "DIYbio" group.
> email to diybio+un...@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/CABaSBaxdLssu%2BWw1943oTvhfqiaeEiLQBfrQgOPg9qWCRCpQ2g%40mail.gmail.com.

-Nathan

Dakota Hamill

Apr 24, 2014, 2:21:11 PM4/24/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Why have you wanted to start a biotech company for 8 years in Nepal?
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/CA%2B82U9KJAx%3DLUFiPhWUUTvc_mhvonFeDnrDawOXt2WH3QJz49A%40mail.gmail.com.

Nathan McCorkle

Apr 24, 2014, 4:35:13 PM4/24/14
to diybio
I mentioned that already in the paragraph starting with "My real
interest"... plus its well above sea-level... I knew that before the
movie 2012 showed that general area being used to build ships/arks to
save everyone from the crazy sea-level rise :P... lots of natural
resources, super beautiful nature. Actually my visit to Nepal was when
I was inspired to go to school for Biotech! I was trekking and seeing
Fedex/UPS was basically a guy with a backpack... carrying fuel
canisters, chicken coops (full of chickens), TVs up the mountains
since there were no automobile roads. When I hiked up over and across
a mountain range and into the Tibetan plateua rainshadow, I was amazed
at the lack of water but abundance of sunshine... and still there were
people backpacking in fuel canisters. I thought it would be really
cool to bring algae ponds or some type of biofuel production there, so
fuel canister hauling wasn't needed. (they /do/ use biofuel actually,
in the form of wood and cow patties, but liquid/gas fuel is/was very
common).

Just a cool place in general, low/lack-of volcanic activity, rain,
elevation. Landslides are an impediment and could destroy an
investment (i.e. a mountainside of trees you plan on logging for
retirement) but as the recent Snohomish/Oso landslide in Washington
shows, it can happen even in the good old USA.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/CAGdeWmQsB%3Dbvs%3DGvSBFQOSNtjUvqV49d3QAEgLwLXHPM-rR6Mw%40mail.gmail.com.

Rüdiger Trojok

Apr 28, 2015, 7:57:52 PM4/28/15
to diyb...@diybio.eu, diybio, hillh...@lists.informatick.net
Hey all,
> i wondered what our peers in Nepal are doing at the moment and how
> they cope
> with the earthquake. Anyone out there to report?
> Any ideas how we could help from remote?
> Best,
> Rüdiger

Ujjwal Thaakar

Apr 29, 2015, 6:48:09 AM4/29/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com, kit...@hackteria.org, hillh...@lists.informatick.net, diyb...@diybio.eu
That's interesting. I've been involved in learning biohacking on my own and am constantly looking for people in India to collaborate with. I'll have a look at hillhacks and see if I can conduct something.

Nathan McCorkle

Apr 30, 2015, 7:02:15 PM4/30/15
to hillhackers, diyb...@diybio.eu, diybio, kit...@hackteria.org
On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 4:52 PM, Rüdiger Trojok <r...@openbioprojects.net> wrote:
> Hey all,
> i wondered what our peers in Nepal are doing at the moment and how they cope
> with the earthquake. Anyone out there to report?
> Any ideas how we could help from remote?

This list is circulating around at work (they are 501c(3) so tax-deductible):

Sewa International USA (http://www.sewausa.org/ )
Project page: http://www.sewausa.org/NepalEarthquakerelief
Donation link: http://www.sewausa.org/donate
Tax ID# 20-0638718