UK: Where to Buy / Order Custom Primers / Oligos as a Private Individual?

Michael S

Aug 12, 2016, 4:42:53 PM8/12/16
to DIYbio
Hi,

Help appreciated for this stupid and frustrating limitation in procuring basic MolBiol reagents in the UK!

I'm a research assistant in a lab at a UK university.

However, I want to buy custom PCR primers for a few investigations of my own, which means I can't put them through a formal requisition on my supervisor's grant.

So, where can I buy custom PCR primers / oligos as a private UK individual - ideally from the UK or EU?

I have tried the order forms on most of the big UK suppliers. I can enter my institution as the shipping address, but the billing address always requests an institution also - though I want to enter my own private debit card details and home address. I also phoned ThermoFisher who said they don't ship to individuals.

I managed to place an order with IDT (Integrated DNA Technologies) by entering "None" in the institution field for the billing address. But several hours later I don't have an order confirmation email, so I don't know if they accepted the order yet.

From searching this forum, there is the possibility of Macrogen in Korea.

Does anyone know, what is the latest state of play on this issue as of 2016? Are there any UK or EU-based custom oligo manufacturers who will ship to private individuals?

Thank you!

Mike

Brian Degger

Aug 12, 2016, 5:29:37 PM8/12/16
to diy...@googlegroups.com

Cathal mentioned helix.works for ds dna...not sure if they do oligos.

Cheers,
Brian

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups DIYbio group. To post to this group, send email to diy...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=en
Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/a01f34a5-ea68-483d-ac82-d455b3bafa4e%40googlegroups.com.

Koeng

Aug 14, 2016, 2:10:52 PM8/14/16
to DIYbio
I've heard good things about BioBasic, may be worth a try, also pretty affordable.

-Koeng