Peptone Substitute

SMJW

Mar 2, 2015, 1:00:33 PM3/2/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hello Hello,

I am preparing a growth medium for Photobacterium phosphoreum and finding Peptone here in Germany to be crazy expensive and difficult to order if not on behalf of an educational institution.... would soy protein be a suitable alternative or else a budget way of making peptone? :)

Thanks !

Cathal (Phone)

Mar 2, 2015, 1:07:21 PM3/2/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I've had good success with soy protein. I used to add bromelain (crushed "digestive aid" tablets) to digest it into peptone but I don't think it's necessary, maybe just helpful.

Filtering is valuable. Settle the solution (after heating?) and decant, then filter through a cotton wool bud in a funnel to get clear medium. Do this before adding agar obv. :)

SMJW

Mar 2, 2015, 2:02:31 PM3/2/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com, cathal...@cathalgarvey.me
Awesome ! Thanks for your reply :)