New screen share functionality

Niklas Enbom

Mar 8, 2016, 5:57:38 PM3/8/16
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
As of Chrome 50 we have two new screen sharing features available behind flags: Chrome tabs and audio sharing.

Chrome tabs:
  • Enable "Enable tab For Desktop Share" under chrome://flags
  • Add "tab" as source type in the call to chooseDesktopMedia
  • The tabs for the current chrome profile will appear in the window picker

Audio sharing:
  • Enable "Enable Audio For Desktop Share" under chrome://flags
  • Add "audio" as source type in the call to chooseDesktopMedia
  • A new check box will appear in the picker that allows the user to share the audio as well
  • If checked and the selected source is either a Chrome tab or Desktop the resulting media stream will have an audio track as well. Desktop audio only works for Windows and CrOS.

This can be tested on https://test.webrtc.org/manual/peer2peer/ but we'll try create a more user friendly demo as well. It's worth noting that the window picker will be quite messy if you enable both "window" and "tab" as options. Until we redesign the window picker it's probably the best to avoid having both enabled at the same time.

bryand...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2016, 1:19:39 PM3/12/16
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
This is interesting.

Does this open the way for a tab recorder that will output all audio and video from a single tab to an mp4/webm file?

Is there any provision for specifying the current tab only as the source for adding a "record this tab" option to a web app?

--

---

Ajay Choudary

Mar 13, 2016, 11:16:37 PM3/13/16
to discuss-webrtc
Can we record Desktop/tab video along with audio using MediaRecorder API ?

Niklas Enbom

Mar 14, 2016, 1:45:38 PM3/14/16
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
To answer both questions. Yes, by combining these APIs you can record desktop and tabs into a webm file, with audio coming from either microphone or system. For tabs the user needs to choose the tab in the window picker.

--

---

Niklas Enbom

Mar 14, 2016, 1:47:27 PM3/14/16
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
I also have a simple demo app for recording screen content: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/screen-recorder/gdamcnkmddbfhaadidkhahllkabienpk

I haven't added system audio and tabs to it yet though.

bryand...@gmail.com

Mar 14, 2016, 1:57:48 PM3/14/16
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for that.

One follow up -- will there be some way to select the current tab so that it can be recorded without showing a tab picker to the user?

I imagine a "record this tab" scenario for my web application.

Niklas Enbom

Mar 14, 2016, 2:13:15 PM3/14/16
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
It's possible, but then you have to use the TabCapture API instead: https://developer.chrome.com/extensions/tabCapture

Luke Hubbard

Jun 22, 2016, 8:04:10 AM6/22/16
to discuss-webrtc
Sorry to jump into an old thread, working on some code that does desktop capture and stumbled on this.

"Desktop audio only works for Windows and CrOS"

Do you know if there are plans to support Mac OS in the future? Is there a bug tracking the implementation.

Thanks,
Luke

Brian Baldino

Jun 22, 2016, 12:01:47 PM6/22/16
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
can't find the bug which lists details, but i believe mac (and linux, if i remember right) has some significant technical hurdles to accomplish this so i don't think it's coming there anytime soon.  i think it was just decided to release the ones that did work (windows, chromeos) rather than blocking everything on the ones that won't.

--

---

Niklas Enbom

Jun 23, 2016, 1:01:08 PM6/23/16
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Here's the bug: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=603259

As stated there's no good way to do this unfortunately.

Chad Furman

Mar 17, 2017, 3:00:52 AM3/17/17
to discuss-webrtc
Looking at that demo, it's still setting  "audio: false" as the media constraint.  When I share my tab with the "share audio" box selected, the audio does not come through.  I know this because only the tab playing music shows the little "speaker" icon indicating it's making sounds while the peer2peer tab does not have any audio icon.

I have not established a peer connection, only looking at the local stream.  Will that matter?

Brian Baldino

Mar 17, 2017, 1:04:41 PM3/17/17
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Which platform are you on?  The audio sharing only works on windows I think.

--

---

Alexandre GOUAILLARD

Mar 22, 2017, 9:33:53 AM3/22/17
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
hi brian,

I am on windows 10.
I am trying to share full screen + audio.
I followed the instructions at https://test.webrtc.org/manual/peer2peer/ and installed the latest extension they pointed to in developper mode.
I clicked on the "audio" checkbox in the picker.
I tried M50 to M57 (being very careful about the flag changing from "enable" to "disable" between versions of chrome), and could not succeed a single time.

Did you ever make it work?
If yes, did you use a specific extension?

While it does not work for mac through the extension mechanism, some in my team have reported success by using a kernel extension exposing the mixed audio as a virtual audio source:

Regards,

Alex.

Alex. Gouaillard, PhD, PhD, MBA
President - CoSMo Software Consulting, Singapore

Brian Baldino

Mar 23, 2017, 12:43:46 PM3/23/17
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Hey Alex,
No I haven't given it a try...just remembered the platform thing because we were interested in the feature, but never got around to trying it out.  I was going to try that demo page on my windows machine but then saw that it requires building the peer connection server and that machine doesn't have any of the dev environment set up on it :/

bell...@gmail.com

Apr 27, 2017, 9:11:11 AM4/27/17
to discuss-webrtc

Sorry to post on this old thread, not sure where the right place to do so is, please point me on the right direction
The screen share  functionality on latest Chrome 58 seems to be broken on Windows 10 and multiple monitors.
1) if a user selects desktop share on win10 and multiple monitors, it will fail to share anything other than the main monitor (the one with the windows taskbar)
2) if a user selects an application (not a screen), anything you put on top of the app being shared, will also display!,  So say I am sharing MS Word, if I put something on top of the MS Word window, say another app, that app will display as well!
Seems to be some sort of DriectX / Chrome issue

If we downgrade to Chrome 57, everything works fine on Windows 10.
Windows 7 and Chrome 58 is all good too.

Silvia Pfeiffer

Apr 27, 2017, 3:00:49 PM4/27/17
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
See https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=712615