Externally generated certificate in RTCPeerConnection

Ariel Tubaltsev

Apr 23, 2018, 2:32:41 AM4/23/18
to discuss-webrtc
In-browser, RTCPeerConnection provides an option to generate RTCCertificate or can generate it by itself.
But is there an option to use an externally generated key/certificate, for example, issued by CA?

The use case could be using the same certificate for signalling and WebRTC communication.

Lennart Grahl

Apr 23, 2018, 1:58:06 PM4/23/18
to discuss-webrtc
AFAIK there is no way to do that. But I would support such a proposal towards the WebRTC spec (and I have a use case for this, too). However, be aware there are people who state that handling private keys inside of the application's JS is a bad idea (I'm not one of them).

If you want an end-to-end encrypted solution for the signalling, I may be able to help you: https://saltyrtc.org/

Cheers
Lennart

Ariel Tubaltsev

Apr 24, 2018, 12:12:00 PM4/24/18
to discuss-webrtc
Hi Lennart

Thank you for the quick response.

Right, in general, the browser/OS is responsible to handle certificates, not the in-browser code.
But here we already have a way to generate the certificate from in-browser code, so I'd argue that providing an option to use some existing certificate doesn't make it much worse.
Quickly looking at chromium implementation, looks like there is already a way to import PEM:
So it's metter of being exposed through JS.

Do you happen to know how to submit the proposal?

Cheers
Ariel

Lennart Grahl

Apr 24, 2018, 4:35:40 PM4/24/18