MediaStream: Re-broadcasting

Marc Bakos

Feb 26, 2016, 8:23:44 AM2/26/16
to discuss-webrtc
I understand that MediaStream re-broadcasting is now available in WebRTC.
Where can I find more information regarding this feature? It will be helpful to use in an environment where network meshing is not suitable.

"Stream Re-broadcasting: In order to support some of the more interesting topologies for routing data, we need to be able to take a MediaStream object from one peer and add it to another PeerConneciton. Without this, the only way of doing multi-user is a mesh network or a centralized server."

Kind Regards

Philipp Hancke

Feb 26, 2016, 9:04:56 AM2/26/16
to discuss...@googlegroups.com

--

---

Stephen Pearson

Oct 3, 2016, 4:44:33 AM10/3/16
to discuss-webrtc
But this doesn't "take a MediaStream object from one peer and add it to another PeerConneciton"

Instead it seems to take a MediaStream object from one peer, re-encodes it into a different MediaStream, and then adds it to another PeerConnection.
The more relays I add, the worse the quality.

This should be lossless if it was true re-broadcasting, right?

Jason Thomas

Feb 16, 2018, 12:31:00 PM2/16/18
to discuss-webrtc
Can anyone confirm if it is re-encoded like suggested above?