TURN over TCP STUN ping response timeout increase

Sridhar Bollam

May 27, 2016, 1:46:29 PM5/27/16
to discuss-webrtc

We are recently testing Webrtc with TURN over TCP and observed that, often it easily reach 5seconds timeout for STUN ping response wait time and then marking the transport channel as timeout. The same network works fine with TURN over UDP.

I changed CONNECTION_WRITE_CONNECT_TIMEOUT and CONNECTION_WRITE_CONNECT_FAILURES to 10s in Connection::UpdateState for TurnPort and TCPPort, it seems working fine.

It would be nice to know your experiences on TURN over TCP timeouts and any plans on adding this change to Webrtc.

mike...@gmail.com

May 29, 2016, 9:11:26 AM5/29/16
to discuss-webrtc
We have seen similar issue with Chrome WebRTC client on low bandwidth link using TURN/TCP.  Chrome debug log shows missing STUN ping responses, Eventually Chrome disconnects and destroys the connection.

Gustavo Garcia

May 30, 2016, 6:16:27 AM5/30/16
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
In my opinion the connectivity checks timeout is too low for TCP connections (TURN and non-TURN) in non ideal conditions.  Even if the network is good and you are having very low delays most of the times it is not difficult to get 4-5 seconds delay from time to time.

Right now we can trigger an ICE Restart in those cases, but it is not a great solution.  I think it would be good if timeouts are extended for TCP connections until a better solution is available (tricke restart, TURN mobility/reconnections...)

--

---

mike...@gmail.com

May 31, 2016, 12:08:19 PM5/31/16
to discuss-webrtc
Not that it should matter, but what TURN/TCP server are you running?

Honghai Zhang

May 31, 2016, 1:16:55 PM5/31/16
to discuss...@googlegroups.com