Does WebRTC Android support H264?

Duncan

Aug 14, 2017, 1:57:32 PM8/14/17
to discuss-webrtc
HI, I'm Android Developer

I just try to implement the application for the WebRTC
but, I need the Codec for H264, not the VP8

Does WebRTC Android support H264, now?
thank for your help.

Sami Kalliomäki

Aug 15, 2017, 3:21:00 AM8/15/17
to discuss-webrtc
H264 is supported on phones with hardware capabilities through MediaCodec. You can take a look at AppRTCMobile.

I am not sure if it is possible to compile software codec into WebRTC.

--

---

Eric Davies

Aug 15, 2017, 3:01:33 PM8/15/17
to discuss-webrtc
Unless they've changed things in the last month or two, its slightly more uncertain :-).
The android webrtc library has some hardcoded codec class names that it checks against in various places.
If your device has an H264 codec that isn't one of those predefined codecs (though still recognized by android), then you have to do some fiddling with the webrtc library at the java level to get it to be used. I went through this to get hardware H264 encoding to work on an unusual device.

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 1:50 PM, Duncan <lzd...@gmail.com> wrote:
HI, I'm Android Developer

I just try to implement the application for the WebRTC
but, I need the Codec for H264, not the VP8

Does WebRTC Android support H264, now?
thank for your help.

--

---

xiang liu

Aug 16, 2017, 1:50:49 AM8/16/17
to discuss-webrtc

 WebRTC Android SDK support H264, but only a few devices.

you can add software h264 encode/decode by modify the native code.

we are doing like this.

在 2017年8月15日星期二 UTC+8上午1:57:32,Duncan写道: