Firefox 49 WebRTC and Web Audio Release Notes

Maire Reavy

Jun 9, 2016, 10:49:32 AM6/9/16
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Firefox 49 is now our Developer Edition version (it's available for download soon), and it's scheduled to go to Beta on August 1st and to Release on September 12th.  Detailed WebRTC (plus Web Audio) release notes for Firefox 49 are here.

If anyone has any questions about the release, the notes, or possible bugs in the code, feel free to reach out to me directly.

Cheers,
-Maire

Noteworthy Changes:

  • Full duplex for Windows is pref'd on. Full duplex for all Desktop OSs is pref'd on in Firefox 49.
    • Please report any audio issues you have during a call. (See bug 1243857 and the cubeb bugs that landed in this release for more details.)
  • Added support for MediaStream.getTrackById(). (See bug 1208390.)
  • getUserMedia(cam+mic) is now all-or-nothing. The MediaCapture and Streams spec [1] says that sites requesting both camera and microphone at the same time, must get both or nothing (in the form of an error). (See bug 802326.)
  • Aligned with spec: Fixed issue where ontrack and onaddstream fired too late. (See bug 998546.)
  • Properly handle a=inactive in the remote SDP during renegotiation. (See bug 1213773.)
  • Allow any MediaStream to be passed to RTCPeerConnection.addTrack. (See bug 1271669.)
  • Implement receiving 'b=TIAS' on media description to restrict sending bandwidth. (See bug 1276368.)
  • REMB is now enabled by default. (See bug 1155435.)
  • We now use AVFoundation for camera capture on OSX. (See bug 1180725.)
  • We now disable audio down/up sampling when all the constraints have been passed in gUM. This is very important for use cases other than voice, when using gUM, including, but not limited to, instrument recording, ultrasonic communication, etc (See bug 1268428.)
  • Added support for ICE consent freshness (RFC 7675). (See bug 929977.)
  • Automated tests now include NAT simulation and TURN server mochitests. (See bug 1231975 and bug 1231981.)
  • Fixed packet loss when sending/receiving very high bitrates on Win7. (See bug 1251821.)
  • Enabled TMMBR support by default. (See bug 1270230.)
    • Update: We need to disable TMMBR due to a regression (video freezing under certain conditions). We're still investigating. Once we have a fix, we'll land it in Fx50 and pref on there. If the fix is safe to uplift to Fx49, we'll do so and then pref TMMBR back on in Fx49. (See bug 1279039.)

--
Maire Reavy
m...@reavy.org, mre...@mozilla.com